Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Honda Civic Lx Wont start While Hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Post 92 Honda Civic Lx Wont start While Hot

Im open to any suggestions. I've replace about everything in the car itself, Then one day it wouldnt start for 3hrs, then when it cooled down during the evening it finally started right up, It has happened a few times when i was at work. Sometimes, No matter how hot it was it would start right up, but when i get off work, it wouldnt start again for another hr. So i started thinking if it happens all the time when it gets about 75F or higher all the time or is it just when it feels like it doesnt want to start. Well, i tested the theory out and the results turned out to be, It'll start for 3 days, then it would start again after that. It repeatly cycled the pattern for awhile. So i figured it would keep doing that till i found out what the problem was. But of course when i was thinkin about replacing something, it would always start when i needed to go somewhere, that lasted a month till it started doing the same thing again.

So, Im thinkin its the Gas pump itself, but havent had the chance to replace it, so i looked up the problem on here and i found out that someone said it could be a ECU, Well, The ECU that is in the car came from a different honda since i put in a 1.6 Vtec engine into it (last one had 2 Cracked Cyclinders) so if anyone else think it could be the ECU or something else, Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

Main Relay possibly?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:08 PM

I know the main relay was an issue with the '91 and older civics, not sure about the 92-95 though. Worth a shot though, pull out your main relay and reflow all the solder joints and see if that helps out at all. Does the car just crank and not start? Next time it's doing this (if you happen to have a buddy with you), have someone else try to start the car while you pull the wires off the plugs and with a screw driver, see if there's spark. Hold the screwdriver (while inserted into the boot) close to a good ground and see if it arcs while the car is cranking. If not, you know it's an issue in the ignition system. Main Relay and distributor are both good places to start looking.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The main relays are also a problem from 1992 to 1995. In 1996 they changed to a more reliable kind.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:10 AM

I appreciate it, Ill check that out tomorrow and See how it goes, Either way i will post to let you guys know how it went.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 AM

I have to second the main relay. I've got a 92 CX hatchback and was having exact same problem and it was the main relay. Sometimes I'd just kick it a few times and it'd start up.