Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic EX sedan, sputtering and stalling...Help?!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Exclamation 93 Civic EX sedan, sputtering and stalling...Help?!

I took it to the dealership, and right now they are still in the trial and error phase. It sounds like the engine is not getting enough gas. They checked my spark plug wires and found that something in the distributor might have been off. They took the distributor apart and found that the coil had gone bad. On one side it was pulling 0 ohms, on the other side it was pulling 1.10 ohms. So i ordered a new coil because it was under warranty. They installed the new coil, took it out, and the same problem occured. I had Pulsestar Spark plugs in the car, which we took out when the car was acting funny. I put in the NGK's but the proble still persists.

i'm not sure if it's the fuel pump, but i doubt it.

Here's what happened before it started to act up. I was on my way to the store, and i thought i might have a lil' fun, so when i was coasting at about 5-10mph (i was still in first), i stomped on it, made my wheels chirp and everything. Well i left the car running in front of the store. When i came out the engine was not running. It's been acting funny ever since. The distributor is new, i ordered it from DistributorKing.com. But it was installed a while back, so if there was a problem with it, it would have presented itself earlier.

I really need some help, the car is my only mode of transportation.

Thanx in advace for the help....

Old 08-16-2008, 04:41 PM

did the distributor come with a new icm module or not if it didnt and your using your old one thats one thing to look at and if you do the icm check in the haynes manual and it check out all good the is a computer chip in the and over 150 000 miles off heat it start doing intermite sparks or a weak sparks just some info for ya

Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by sk80914lfe
did the distributor come with a new icm module or not if it didnt and your using your old one thats one thing to look at and if you do the icm check in the haynes manual and it check out all good the is a computer chip in the and over 150 000 miles off heat it start doing intermite sparks or a weak sparks just some info for ya
Yeah i was deep in my Haynes Manual last night at my job. I'll definately check that out. There's a lot of sensors that can affect the distributor, and also the cams, but i don't think if the cams were worn that they would behave differently when the car cooled down. It has to be electrical.

So i'm going to check the icm, tps, map, and possibly (hopefully not the problem) ecu. i just really hope it's not one of the more expensive sensors.

Thanx for the response....

If there is anyoneelse with any suggestion, please feel free to give them. I'm really hurtin' without my car, and i have to wait until tomorrow to do anything because it's still at the dealership.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Timing belt may have skipped. Make sure they checked that. Also check the strength of the sparks at the coil. Are your wires OEM stock or aftermarket?