Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Civic LX, some tranny concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Default 93 Civic LX, some tranny concerns

Hey, guys. I bought a 93 Civic LX a little while ago, has about 150k on it, engine rebuilt at 110k. It's in great condition, I bought it from an old lady who drove it around town and kept all the maintenance records on it. I've never owned a civic before, so all the little things about this car are new to me.

I've put about 1k on it so far, and I have two concerns.

It's got a manual, and I popped open the plug to make sure the fluid was filled. Some spilled out and smelled faintly of burning, but otherwise it was a very clear honey color (I guess it uses motor oil, first time I've heard of that).

Second is the Input Shaft Bearing. I've heard they go bad pretty frequently, so I started listening for it. No grinding noises, but when the clutch is up, there's a quiet hum... when it's down, it goes away. Is this an early sign of something, or is this normal? I didn't notice until I started listening for it.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

since there a quiet hum.. you fine.. you WILL know of grinding/winding noise when that happen.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks for your reply! So is this normal or an early warning sign of wear?

I'm the kind of guy who'd rather dish out some cash and spend all saturday in a waiting room NOW than be stranded somewhere and have to buy another car LATER.