Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic ignition switch Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Default 94 civic ignition switch Q

I've had my little Civic since '94 and this past weekend was the first time I've had it stolen. It was found early Wednesday morning and now I have had my eyes opened to the fact that I never knew that my car fell into a popular category for theft. I am also brand new on this forum. I was browsing the forums here to see if I could find a little bit of information I could use, but there is quite a lot here and I could've easily missed it.

Here's the question.

What the specs for the little bolts I will need to reattach the ignition switch to the lock cylinder?

If I push the ignition switch back into place, I can put my key in the "ignition" and the car will start. The perpetrators had removed the bolts and used a screwdriver to more directly start the car. While I will need to buy a new cover for the column to replace the one they broke off to get at the ignition switch, they cleaned out any junk (my wife made a comment that at least I don't have to take all the garbage out of my car that was once there) and didn't leave either of the bolts so I could reattach the switch. The local dealership offered to sell the entire lock cylinder assembly to me but said they couldn't sell me just the missing bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. While my wife and I will be considered some form of theft deterence for our cars in the future here, first I would like to stop using the screwdriver the perps left in my car to start my own car (and to turn it off).

And, in case, you are curious, when the police found my car they told me it had plates from another stolen Honda Civic on it. The correct plates had already been "restored" to the car when my wife and I drove to the location at 4:30 in the morning. Also, the stereo had been torn it in favor of major rewiring and what was probably a stolen stereo system, far superior to what I had. It would've been nice to take that stereo home, sell it, and use the money to put a basic stereo back in the car (I only a stock tape deck) and use the difference to make some repairs the car could really use (including replacing the missing bolts and broken cover). As for the distance from where we live, it was at another apartment complex probably about two miles away from the one we live at. The police "collected" the majority of the "stuff" from my car that wasn't mine including the subwoofer, speakers, and three stereo components that had all been "added" to the Civic. While I am not sure what I'll decide to do about a lack of stereo as I now find myself, I do know that I don't want to drive around place to place using a screwdriver to start my car!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

stupid shyt4brains bastids. you wana make it easier for you get yourself a alarm. if your electronically savvy i can send you a schematic to disable your fuelpump from a hidden switch so the arseholes cant steal it. yeah people talk about it on here but you really want to be secure do more than 1 kill switch inside the car. and dont do it to the starter because if its a standard the bastards can just break the lock cylinder again, set it to II and popstart it via the clutch. and if its a automatic its still useless because they can again set it to II and take a jumper wire from the starter to the battery tap it a few times a viola they started your car and their about to take that **** again. do a switch to the main voltage of the distributor and a switch to the fuel pump. they wont sit around trying to figure out why the bastard wont start because more time they spend increases their chances of getting busted. but take out the old ignition switch and replace it with a new one. honda ignition switches arnt hard to break and get started. facking aye i was talkin 2 my lady about this **** and i own a ef civic. i told her all youd need to steal my car is another ignition switch and you dont even need to damage the vehicle to steal it, just disconnect the harness under the steering column and the 4 pin going to the fusebox, and connect the one you got from the junkyard, stick a screwdriver in it and you circumvented the ignitions security. i installed a alarm in mine and for my "starter kill" i made a relay circuit i can send to you and i tied it to my fuel pump lead. i even tried it. when the alarms armed the starter kill goes grounded and opens the relay "fuel pump line. i started it and it started but it slowly sucked the remaining fuel out of the lines and sputtered and died. if you love your civic follow my instructions or look around on this "subject" , or get a different car that has a "harder to steal and circumvent " lock cylinder. when i build my new civic setup im putting a switch on the dist and on the fuel injectors. car wont start without spark or fuel. but leave the starter intact. the bastids will kill the battery from continuously trying to start it or will draw attention to themselves. sorry for my rambling but i hate ****ing car thieves

Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

oh and about the bolts. take the old busted ignition lock cylinder with you to ace hardware and just get some standard but long enuff machine screws. no point on getting the shear off heads as they already know how to defeat that