New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

1991 civic dx ignition switch

Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Default 1991 civic dx ignition switch

I am a rural mail carrier. Idrive a 91 civic dx 4 dr on the route. Ithas 262,000 miles on it. It runs great and have had few problems with it. The ignition switch went bad and had to replace it. Got that done and deceided to take out the key lock tumbler and grease it. It was on and off kind of hard!!! Now I can't get it back in!!! Is there a trick to this? I need written instruction!!! Ken[:@]

Old 05-29-2010, 08:03 PM
HCF Member

its wierd u have to play with it. im not sure the exact way to do it maybe someone else could shed some light on this. but hold it in your hand and youll see a pin pointed up. its hard to be pressed in but you need to put the key into the cylinder and turn it to 1 or 2 dont remember and the pin should be able to be pressed in "dont count on it just falling in, push with your finger as its spring loaded" once you know how that goes take the small 2 pin electrical block "key sensor tells if key is left in ignition"off the bottom of the ignition switch holder and stick something pointy down the ignition hole where the cylinder goes. notice a small metal spring loaded block inside, thats the steering lock. move it over to give more room for the cylinder and stick a small metal object in the hole from where the "key sensor" goes to hold it in place so it dont spring load back to its default position. then keep the key in the cylinder in the position that the pin falls down and press it in as you push the cylinder back in place. you should look at the top for a hole. see if the pin falls in the hole. if it does your good to go. also before you do that you might want to take a phillips screwdriver and move the ignition switch to the I or II position so it goes in. dont try to force anything or it might break causing more problems for you