Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 civic problems.. Help!!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Default 95 civic problems.. Help!!

ey, I own a 95 honda civic dx. 1.5l sohc. Non-vtech. I just replaced my*head*gasket today, took it for a test drive then my check engine light came on, and it started getting really hot, really fast. So I checked my coolant, and it was a milky green black mix.. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I didn't drain the coolant or the oil, should I have done that? I wanted to save time, and I'm not quite sure how to drain the coolant. So of anybody knows, that would be great! Thanks!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You didn't drain the coolant at all? That will cause a lot of coolant to pour down into the oil when you take the head off. Did you bother to refill and purge the system before driving?

To drain all the coolant, open the valve at the bottom of the radiator, and unscrew the large plug from the front of the engine block, near the transmission end.

Also if you were trying to "save time" you may have neglected to clean all of the old gasket off of the head and the block. That is very important to get a good seal on the new gasket.

Generally though getting lots of oil into the coolant likely means that the engine is cracked. There is just the one place in the center back where the head gasket has to seal against oil.

Last edited by mk378; 04-04-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
You didn't drain the coolant at all? That will cause a lot of coolant to pour down into the oil when you take the head off. Did you bother to refill and purge the system before driving?

To drain all the coolant, open the valve at the bottom of the radiator, and unscrew the large plug from the front of the engine block, near the transmission end.

Also if you were trying to "save time" you may have neglected to clean all of the old gasket off of the head and the block. That is very important to get a good seal on the new gasket.

Generally though getting lots of oil into the coolant likely means that the engine is cracked. There is just the one place in the center back where the head gasket has to seal against oil.

No not at all. I didn't even think about it until I took the head off and the fluid went all over the ground.. Ha. I read on how to bleed it(*https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/s...3257&styleid=7) seems simple enough. I definitely took the time to take the old gasket off, it was polished. Thanks for the info! I'll get it all done tomorrow. Hoping for the best