Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95' EX VERY!!! WIERD Starting issue.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
HCF Member
Question 95' EX VERY!!! WIERD Starting issue.

Ok, So with the help of RonJ, I got my 95' EX running super strong. The next day I filled the tank with premium (1st time doing this) drove awesome for a couple days. Today Im down to a little over a half tank and im driving threw a school zone 25 mph and it just died in the middle of the road??? Tryed to start it and it just cranked and cranked. I let it sit for about ten seconds and it started right up like nothing happend. So i shutt it off and turned it back on about three times testing it. It is doing the wierdest thing, as long as I have the key turned it will just crank and crank and not start but as soon as i let the key go and it springs back to the acc. position it starts ((((after ive let the key go))))?????? What the hell, never heard of this before in my life. When it starts it runs great doesnt even struggle or anything its like a perfect car when its running. Anybody have any clue?

Here is whats been done to the car in the last month-

-put new headers on
-new high capacity radiator
-burped coolant system
-new Bosch Platnium plugs
-new magstar 8.5mm racing wires
-new distributor,cap and rotor
-new short ram intake
-timing (perfect)

No CEL, no lights at all. Its just wierd. Maybe its the premium fuel??

Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you have a D16Z6 engine, I think premium gas doesn't benefit the performance and just costs you more money. In addition, your ignition timing is set to run regular 87 octane gas.

My first thought about your problem is a bad ignition switch in the ON(III) position. Can you push start the engine without a problem?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Chubby Chaser

i'd say its in your ignition
does your dash lights(cel,brake,oil) lights stay on or do they go off when it dies...

Name:  ignitionarcing.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  28.3 KB
Name:  switcharcswitch2.gif
Views: 78
Size:  6.2 KB

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 08-21-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the switch tests bad, then replace it.

Edit - correct diagram for 92-95 Civics now shown below

Name:  picture_3449.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  108.0 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 08-22-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 AM
HCF Member

Ok, Im not sure about the push start thing. But here is what i noticed. I pulled the number one plug wire and had my wife crank it over and there was no spark while she was cranking it, but when she let it go, it would spark as the engine finished its last rotation. Also it kinda diesles a little after letting go of the key and you can hear a "pffff" kinda like comprssion at the end, and I smell fuel strong around the throttle body but dont have anyleaks.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Young Blood
Ok, Im not sure about the push start thing. But here is what i noticed. I pulled the number one plug wire and had my wife crank it over and there was no spark while she was cranking it, but when she let it go, it would spark as the engine finished its last rotation. Also it kinda diesles a little after letting go of the key and you can hear a "pffff" kinda like comprssion at the end, and I smell fuel strong around the throttle body but dont have anyleaks.
This is fully consistent with a bad ignition switch. When you test the ignition switch, it predicts that Bat and IG1 will fail the continuity test with the key in ON(III). Do the ignition switch tests in the diagram.

Last edited by RonJ; 08-22-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the ignition switch turns out to test bad, as I predict that it will, then read this thread, which will describe a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:44 AM
HCF Member

Ok im going to do this right now. Would this switch of caused it to stall while driving down the road?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Young Blood
Would this switch of caused it to stall while driving down the road?
Yes.

*****Above, I have now posted the correct 92-95 Civic diagram for testing your ignition switch. The previous one was for 96-00 Civics.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 AM
HCF Member

man for the life of me i can not find those two plugs, nothing is labeled

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95' EX VERY!!! WIERD Starting issue.