Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 honda civic lx died while reversing and now cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Default 97 honda civic lx died while reversing and now cranks but won't start

okay ill be first to admit I'm not an auto mechanic, but I've had my 97 civic lx 5 speed for 6 years now and I love the car. its always been reliable and done me great and now has about 200k miles on it.
Sooooo..... about 2 years ago my [now ex] boyfriend was parked in front of me and needed to run to the store quick and after working a long day didn't feel like going out to move my civic so he could get out and so he just took mine. since its only 5 blocks away I didnt worry too much. couple hours later I got called into work and had got like 4 blocks and it just died and had to coast into the nearby sonic parking lot cause it absolutely wouldn't start back up. called a buddy and he towed it back to our place and took me into work. next day my ex husband looked it over for me and ended up replacing the plugs, wires, distributor, cap, oil n filter. being tight on cash at the time couldn't afford to keep throwing money into it cause had just replaced all 4 tires 3 weeks prior to that and then had house issues that took priority over vehicle. few weeks later I went ahead and ordered a new car diag. scanner cause figured would probably need it as well as new timing belt and battery. paid experienced auto mechanic friend to put it in and picked it back up few days later and it was glad it was back up and running again! only thing I had left to replace was upstream 02 sensor which I was told wouldn't cause major problems since had needed replaced since I had got the car. But had it back for roughly week n half maybe 2 weeks and had noticed a slight squeal coming from it but still ran fine. my fiance got called into work and so he took it because it gets better gas mileage and he works an hour away. when he got off work he reversed outta parking stall and was shifting into 1st when it just died. tried to start it but it just cranked and cranked but wouldn't start even tho it acted as if it wanted to. No codes popped up on scanner so called the mechanic who had just did all the work on it to tow it back to the house. he was swamped with work and had just become a newly single dad of a little girl so didn't have the time to really look at it after dropping it off. a couple weeks later had gone and tried to see if it would start again and again it just cranked and wouldn't start. I did hook scanner up to it and it popped up code p0127: high electric voltage. so couple days later I got ahold of mechanic buddy and told him about it and he said he would come by the next week to check couple things out and see what he could do. long story short he got too busy and spaced it and because I had another vehicle I didnt stress it much. about another month passed by and hit a deer with my other vehicle so was in desperate need of getting my civic back on the road. so went back outside and hooked the scanner back up and it didn't show any codes. thought might get lucky n tried starting it again and same thing,.... cranks but won't start. and still no codes popped up after trying that. everybody around me seems too busy to help me out now or its not a priority for them and I desperately need a running vehicle again.... anybody have any ideas for me ??? I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment or didnt know if I'm overlooking something simple or if anybody knew of any tricks I could try or in "dummy version" guide me towards what/how to try or what it could be i would appreciate it.