Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Civic DX - List of Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Default 98 Civic DX - List of Annoyances

I have a 98 Civic DX Coupe
There are a few random little problems that have been irritating me lately.

[ul][*]Passenger Window Handle broke off. Where can I find a replacement, and is it easy to put a new one on?[*]Passenger Window whistles. It has done this since before the handle broke off. The weatherstripping is wearing out. Easy solutions?[*]Check Engine Light. I believe that it turned on because I did not reset the maintenance required indicator soon enough. I reset the ECU, and the CEL still shows.[*]E-Brake Light. Always on. Emergency Brake handle also seems a bit loose.[*]Hood Release. When I pull the release, the hood does not pop up. I have to pull the release all the way back and turn the end (so it stays in place), then go out and pull up on the hood.[*]Shakes in the breaks. I'm pretty sure this is just warped rotors.[/ul]
If anybody has suggestions, tips, etc, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 98 Civic DX - List of Annoyances

For the window handle you need a tool with a hook on the end to pull the metal clip out that is under the hub of the handle, then it will come off the shaft. Should be able to find a good handle at a junk yard. They are the same either side. You can buy the weatherstrip from a dealer. But first check that the glass goes up and meets the weatherstrip straight, that can be adjusted inside the door. Whistling could also be from the joint around the top of the door, not the window.

Check engine light, go to autozone or other parts store and have them read the code(s) out, they will do that for free. Before buying any parts, reset the codes and see which ones reoccur.

Check your brake fluid NOW. If it is low the brake light on the dash will come on same as if the ebrake handle was up. If it's not that, take the trim off around the ebrake and disconnect the wire and see if the light goes out. There is also a pressure sensor on the main brakes that turns on the brake light but you would probably notice that because your car would not be stopping well at all.

Grease the latch well first of all. Make sure you still have the spring on the bottom of the hood that pops it up a little when you pull the handle. You can loosen the bolts on the latch and move it slightly so it doesn't get in a bind.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

+1 For the junkyard window crank. The dealer wanted $35 for one, but I found one at the junk yard the other day for $2.55.
Also, I think you can push the clip off from the handle side of the shaft if you have a screwdriver that's long enough. Either way, its very easy to put the new handle on.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Well I'm glad that's an easy one to fix. I bought a set of 2 handles off of ebay for $12 so not too bad there.

Brake fluid is full. I'm pretty positive that the break light is caused by the parking break. I used the ebrake pretty heavily this winter, so is it possible I stretched the cable or something?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

By "heavy e-brake use this winter" I assume you mean many snowy tire tracks in a circular pattern? So much fun!

Anyway, yea, there are a few things that can go wrong with your e-brake cable; the plastic tubing that keeps dirt and moisture and whatnot away from the cable can crack, and then crud can get in there (especially in winter!) and restrict the cable's movement so it doesn't return to the "off" position, you could have stretched the cable, and/or the little springs that keep the tension on the cable at the brakes. Take the rear wheels off and look at the springs on the back of the drums, and at the levers and swivel points that the cable runs along. Look at the cable with the e-brake on, and then with it off, and see if you notice anything obvious.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

The shaking during your brakes may not yet be warped rotors. It may be unevenly deposited brake lining on the rotors. You should try bedding in your brakes, if you can. It requires the space to go to 60 mph and press down on the brakes rather hard (not enough to make your tires skid) and repeating this about a dozen times.

Here's an explanation of what to do:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I highly recommend doing this late at night on a very empty and untravelled road. I did this process twice for my parents Toyota van when the brakes were vibrating on braking. It seemed to help out with that problem.

As for the CEL...I would pull the codes from the ECU and check them to make sure nothings up. It could be that a sensor's gone bad or needs to be cleaned. That'll impact your fuel economy and performance

Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jamned
As for the CEL...I would pull the codes from the ECU and check them to make sure nothings up. It could be that a sensor's gone bad or needs to be cleaned. That'll impact your fuel economy and performance
I agree. Here's how to pull the code at home:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Old 03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
gwl
HCF Member

With the passenger window, the handle probably was broken because the glass came off the tracks and you tried to crank it up which broke the handle. If it didn't came off the tracks, try spraying some silicone to the front andback edge so it doesn't take too much force to crank your window up.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM

I pulled the CEL code. It's #41

41 Primary oxygen sensor heater

What exactly is that?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The O2 sensor must be very hot to accurately measure O2 levels, so it is equipped with a heating element. Unless there is a problem with the heater element wiring, you will need to replace the entire sensor. Purchase an O2 sensor socket for removal and installation.