Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic GSR Tranny does not go into gear unless engine heats up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Question 98 Civic GSR Tranny does not go into gear unless engine heats up.

I have a 98 honda LX civic with 239K miles and after my stock engine blew my mechanic talked me into a GSR swap. Now i have a list of never ending problems .. Main issue is shifting into gears. The car would not go into any gears when cold. If i start it and wait for arodun 20 mins it will start going into gears .. This is in Florida so we are not anywhere near freezing. Here are some more background:

My transmission was working fine until my mech did fluid change with the new honda fluid. Day after that my fifth started poping out and fianlly tranney went out ... I bought new GSR trannu and my mechanic opened it up and cleaned everthing and put it back together.. He said it was in great shape ...

I have a feeling that the new honda fluid is too thin for a 95 GSR tranny .. and that caused the 1st transmission to go out ... I am no expert ...

more info:
1. it will shift into all gears when car is truned off
2. New master and slave cyclinder
3. Mechanic said stage 3 clutch with lighter flywheel came with set ... was good shape ..
4. There is a winning noise at 5th gear.
5. gear shiffter vibrates a lot when in higher RPM - But all NEW mounts ... Stock

ACE certified MECH. does all kinda upgrades and mods ... its too expensive to tow to him .. already towed it 3 times for diffrent tranny issue .. .. i guess what he does is warm the car up and then takes me on a test drive and thee is no porblems ... last time i went he had someone pull the car out form back but took them 30 mins ..

Old 12-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Clutch not releasing doesn't have anything to do with the transmission. I assume this is the case, you can test by pushing the clutch down with the car not moving but engine running and try to shift to reverse. If the clutch did not release, the gears will grind.

Perhaps some of your parts are incompatible.

The clutch fluid system needs to be bled of air bubbles just like the brakes.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Post Bleeding

I have already bleed the system and yes it does Grid when trying to put into reverse ... What may not be compatible ? Just not understanding why it drives perfectly when it heats up ... I started it up for 20 mins and then it went into all gears with no issues ... but did notice that 1st and 2nd was a little hard when rolling .. but if i came to complete stop then it was fine ..

Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 AM

bump !