Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic won't turn over...more

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Default 98 Civic won't turn over...more

Hi,
I've been reviewing previous posts and need some additional input please.
Daughter has a 98 Civic 5 speed. I was driving it Sunday and pulled in for gas. Turned motor off and when done fueling, it would not start (meaning it would not turn over-no click nothing). I've checked battery and contacts (fine). In searching, because it does not nothing in the "start" position, I'm suspect of the neutral safety switch (appears it's either that or ignition switch). Everything lights up fine on dash, headlights do not dim, just no power to starter. I took a test light and checked the ignition wire to the solenoid and there is no power (testing with someone turning key to the start position).
So, I crawled under the dash and can see what appears to be two different suspect switches on the clutch pedal. I can't find out which is which nor how to get to them to test and/or remove if necessary.
Someone have pics and or input here please....Would sure appreciate it.
thanks in advance

Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The switch at the top controls the starter, it is pressed when the pedal is all the way down. The one nearer the bottom is to drop out the cruise control when you press the clutch; it doesn't affect starting.

There are rubber pads on the pedal arm that actually hit the switch buttons, and it is very common for those pads to fall apart and then the button on the switch will not be pressed. The brake pedal has the same pad for the brake light switch and it is easier to see.

You can bypass the system by unplugging the top switch and putting a jumper wire in the plug. Then the starter should work every time you turn the key regardless of if the clutch is pushed down or not.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 AM

Thank you for the response and details. I could not see where the wires plugged into from underneath. I'm guessing that accessing it to place the jumper requires being upside down and a bit more contorted??

thanks again