Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'99 Civic HX Factory Alarm Issue, Ignition & More.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Question '99 Civic HX Factory Alarm Issue, Ignition & More.....

Okay...here's a list of my issues that a Chilton's manual won't help tell me what I need to know......I will be descriptive and try to stay on the timeline with each of these issues and separate them and let you know what I have done so far. Sit back and grab your popcorn, this is gonna be a long one!!!

I have a 1999 Civix HX A/T 1.5 VTEC-E with a CVT tranny. This has Keyless Entry and an aftermarket FOB made by ScyTek. I had to cut my siren because I needed to drive the car and I had no FOB at the time. Little did I know for the first drive after I cut the siren, the lights were still flashing but still would drive and locks would work. I refused to drive it not wanting to look like I was leading a parade with the lights flashing so I parked it and tried to reconnect the siren (without disconnecting the battery....I figured if it wasn't armed, there should be no problems with 2 wires....maybe I'm wrong) and when I connected it, the siren would NOT shut off but door locks, lights, FOB, valet & ignition all work. I even figured on letting the siren go off for about 5-10 minutes to reset itself might help......Sadly, no......

I WANT TO RECONNECT THE SIREN but it won't shut the Eff UP!!! How do I go about this???? I'll tell you what I know from reading similar threads and I believe this will transition into my second problem.....But I digress....back to the point.

I've located the keyless entry module by the left driver side kick panel.
P/N: 38380-S04-A020-M1
FCC ID: A269ZUA123
Didn't get the MFG name on the module but the FCC ID should suffice...

Now, I've traced the siren wire back to this unit (red/black - red) and I think I stretched the wire a bit because trying to strip off a new connection because when I reconnect the siren, it's muffled and sounds low. To test this, I test wired a piece of speaker wire to the siren (not the module) and tapped the battery with it. It was loud and annoying as usual.

Also, **INSIDE** the siren, what the hell is in there that is SOOO heavy? Is this the backup battery inside the siren I hear so much about but can never find and not sure if I even have one?
If I'm wrong, is there a battery backup for this module and if so, where is it???
Will discharging this backup battery and reconnecting the siren POSSIBLY close the loop I created by cutting the siren?
Did I really screw the pooch on this by cutting the siren and possibly damaging the module?
Can I reset/disable/re-enable the module with a few key twists and some button work without disconnecting the negative terminal, Key On, and driver door open for 30min?

NOW.......Problem #2 which is shorter and I've already done some work to make due but I want to do it right. When I first bought the car, the ignition would either turn over first shot, click like it's activating a relay and not kicking the solenoid over five or six times and then catch, or just keep clicking and would leave me stranded in a parking lot for at least 20 minutes and then it *might* work. Keep in mind, the alarm was functioning properly at this time too but here's my question. The ignition switch is getting power obviously and as for the clicking, I even got a few fuel pump relays from the junkyard and have swapped them out with the same erratic results. So, I got a momentary switch, some 10 gauge wire and connectors and made a ignition bypass for now. Works great EVERY TIME!!!!....

So now I ask:

Does my 99 HX have the ignition kill feature in the module attached? Or is this a separate optional component attached to the module? If so, where is it?
Does ANYONE have a wiring diagram of the siren to this control module so I can check for myself? My Chilton's manual is useless and incomplete.
Is there a possibility that the module was kinda shot and I didn't help matters much by closing the loop on the siren?
Are there certain relays externally that control the ignition kill AND/OR the alarm siren or are they internal in that control module? Can you open that module and service it??

I know I've written a friggin' novel, but I've been spending months reading and checking similar posts and MULTIPLE sites and forums using deductive reasoning since Chilton's wiring diagrams SUCK and with a few stupid questions added in that make me wonder some of the things I am asking.

I know I'm asking a LOT being my 1st post and a NOOB to here, but I'm out of options......PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Greg Philley