Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic LX. Grinding noise that disappears when clutch engaged.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Default 99 Civic LX. Grinding noise that disappears when clutch engaged.

So I decided that having a car payment was not for me and went out and bought a '99 Civic LX with 92000 miles on it. I suppose the low mileage should've scared me off. Anyway, I bought it knowing there was a problem with it. The noise was terrible, it was even worse when I shifted it into each gear.

The mechanics said that they thought it was the throwout bearing that was making the noise.

So with this information me and a friend went to work. We gutted the front end to replace as much as we could now so I would have a good future with the car. We replaced *all* of the belts. We bought a new clutch kit and replaced the whole clutch. Put everything back together, started the car and the noise was still there.

His thought was that we didn't grease the bearing that was attached to the clutch fork enough (Sorry, don't know all the terms). So with that we took another 3 hours removing the tranny, greasing everything up pretty well, and putting it back. With this a new sound came around. He is worried that we may have damaged something inside the bell housing as we had attempted to remove it, and midway through we decided this wasn't a good idea so we put everything back. Anyway, it's hard to put this sound into words, but I want to say that its nothing that we installed with this new kit.

When I push down on the clutch the sound disappears. When I lift off it comes back. When I push on the accelerator the sound speeds up with it. Sunday we are going to put everything together to make sure that it still drives correctly.

So I suppose my question here is, does anyone have any inklings as to what may be the problem? We've seen that it could be the flywheel itself, but with a visual inspection it shows no signs of anything being wrong.

If you need more information I will do my best. Thank you.

Sorry for the awful grammar.

Last edited by Cody King; 06-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the transmission is still out of the car, put it in neutral and spin the input shaft by hand. It should be quiet. If you hear the familiar grinding noise, you need to open up the transmission and replace the input shaft bearing(s). Usually the one on the end away from the engine is bad. The D-series manuals put a lot of stress on that bearing and it will eventually go bad. Replacing the bearing is simple since it is right on the end of the shaft. You do not need to take all the gears apart.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

Not trying to jack this thread but i got the same prob but its sounds like a chirpy-chatter noise.....shall i say mostly chirpy with some chatter....lol.... Same deal when i am accelerating especially through the 2000-3000 rpm range. but when i push the clutch it stops........i just installed a replacement engine it runs and pulls fine but that damn noise. Intalled a new Exedy clutch kit....clutch...flywheel...n pressure plate...n throw out bearing. my car is a 2000 civic LX.....D16Y7 5sp. It didnt start making noise right away took a few weeks after the install.....maybe it was going bad before the install, i used the same tranny from original motor.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Took the Bell Housing off. 2 Bearings were busted. the Intake shaft bearing, and the larger bearing that is on top as soon as you remove the housing. It will feel so good when this is done.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Cody King
Took the Bell Housing off. 2 Bearings were busted. the Intake shaft bearing, and the larger bearing that is on top as soon as you remove the housing. It will feel so good when this is done.
Well good to know you will be through with this ordeal..guess now i have to prepare for the same.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

It's a pretty easy job to DIY, pulling the trans is the hard part.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by anibis
It's a pretty easy job to DIY, pulling the trans is the hard part.
yeah i know...i wish i knew about this when i had the engine out last month.....i just dont remember the noise before that time. :-(

Last edited by 2Kcivicguy; 06-24-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 2Kcivicguy
yeah i know...i wish i knew about this when i had the engine out last month.....i just dont remember the noise before that time. :-(
Yeah it's possible the bearing(s) was already weak and the strain from pulling/re-installing the trans injured it more, I've heard of it happening before.

Last edited by anibis; 06-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

Well i was looking on youtube to see if any other vids would show noises similar to mine. Didnt find much so i had my gf tape my vehicle making the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTg_...1&feature=plcp

Last edited by 2Kcivicguy; 07-01-2012 at 06:31 PM.