Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC recharge question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Default AC recharge question

I bought some r-12 to recharge my 92' civic air conditioning. I have a r-134 hose. The hose will not connect to either the can of r-12, or the vehicles AC port. Do I need adaptors? Or do I need a R-12 hose? If so, where can I get one? thanks

Old 07-17-2006, 02:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: AC recharge question

Piggybacking on this post here...

How hard is it to recharge the A/C yourself? Mine's just blowing hot air now and I'm pretty sure it's because it's out of juice.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM

now i'm really getting pissed. I bought the hose, and hooked it all up, AC is on full blast and and it is sucking in the r-12 very slowly. The car is outside idling right now all hooked up and I am waiting for the can to empty. Meanwhile, the AC doesn't appear to be blowing any colder. What gives? Is this how long it is supposed to take? When will the AC blow cold?

Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 PM

I'm feeling your pain 7thgear... [:@]99 civic and I just attempted to purge the system a bit and recharge. PSI on the LOW side is on the correct 25-45 range but now the compressor keeps cycleing on and off at high rpms. any advice would be apreciated.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 PM

If you are doing conversion from R12 to R134a you should flush the system first, pull new vacuum in and then fill the system. That is why the connectors do not fit. Also you should not be able to buy R12 anywhere because it is illegal without license (harmful to Ozone layer). When you are refilling shake the can that helps in terms of getting the refrigant in. Never hook up the can on the high side, this can cause the can to burst! Now if you are doing conversion, replace orifice tube and accumulator!

Typically when AC is going on and off you either have too much or too little refrigant in or you may have some other problem with the AC. First you need to check both high side and low side pressures and make sure you stay in the correct range. If low side drops too low your pressure sensor will cut of the AC to prevent damage to the compressor. Same should happen if the pressure gets too high. You also have a pressure relief valve (expansion valve) in the system which could be malfunctioning, causing your high side pressures to get too high. You may also have clogged orifice tube or condenser among other problems. Let qualified AC person to check the pressures with proper 2-sided manifold for pressure on both sides.