Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C refrigerant recharge

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:15 PM
HCF Member
Default A/C refrigerant recharge

Has anyone recharged their A/C unit?

I have a 94 Civic LX. The refrigerant, r134a, is pretty cheap so I looked under my hood and the compressor has a sticker that says r134a. Anyway, what I don't know is where to hook it up. The directions on the refrigerant can (I just read it and didn't buy it) says to find a black cap to remove and there's a picture of someone recharging with the can on top. The Honda has a blue cap so I don't know if this is the right one to remove. I would like to do it myself because my A/C last year was weak when it was really hot outdoors.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: A/C refrigerant recharge

There will be two caps, one is red and blue (or caps with H and L written). When you buy refrigerant there will be a hose you can buy with it, the hose will tap the refrigerant bottle and allow you to hook up to the test port. You pretty much hook up the tap to the low side of the A/C system (blue or cap with L written on it, also should be thin lines). Then you start the car and run the A/C (so the compressor is running) and put in the desired amount of refrigerant (you can use a scale). Don't forget you must also add compressor oil. This may come in a seperate bottle. The oil goes in the same way as the refrigerant, but be sure to hold the bottle upside down when you are putting the oil in. BTW, i'm not 100% on the high side and low side thing. I'm pretty sure u hook it up to the low side but i'm not 100% sure.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Default RE: A/C refrigerant recharge

The high and low has two different connections so if it don't fit properly pit it on the other one. Manufactors have 2 different connections so that you can't add it to the wrong one and screw up your system.