Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory plug inop??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Accessory plug inop??

We have a 2003 Civic LX (cdn model) and we use the accessory plug (12V) to recharge our cell phone while on the road.... it doesn't work anymore and the charger works in another car. Checked with a meter, no voltage in the plug while the car was running (didn't check the ground to the car though). Checked the 15 amp fuse under the steering wheel (fuse 18 I believe), the fuse checked ok (0 ohm). I didn't take the time to check if I had power at the fuse while on accessory or running the car (both should work), and I re-installed the fuse. I could also check the continuity between the fuse holder and the plug, but didn't take the time.

Just wanted to know if there was a known issue with this system and could someone show me the way to the correct wiring diagram to help me out.... wasn't able to find it yet. The basic car electrical system is still under warranty on this civic, but I'd like to save the trouble of going to the dealer.

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Waldo

Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Accessory plug inop??

dont think the diagram will be on the internet for free.
in chiltons and haynes (but sometimes they dont show all the models - those books are sometimes deficient)
may look into the autozone site and see if there is a relay for that (but i dont think so).
There is no switch - it is hot all the time - right ???

Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 PM

I finally got a service manual from someone on the internet on tradebit inc. for 6.99$. It's a PDF file more than 1100 pages long and covers 2002-2003 civics.

I got the diagram I wanted and the accessory power socket replacement procedure (it looks so easy on paper). I checked at the fuse again and I have power at fuse 18 when the key is either at accessory or the car is running. The other contact on the fuse and the ground are both open electrically to the accessory socket, which tends to confirm that the socket connector is loose or disconnected somehow, which is why I lost power.

The problem is I can't seem to get that accessory socket outta there... I'm afraid I'm going to break some plastic. Has anyone here done this before? The metal around the socket is flush with the plastic and there has to be a trick to get the socket out of there, I can't figure it out with the illustrations I have.

Thank you,
Waldo

Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

if like a cig lighter, there is a stud on the end and a little nut on the back side that holds it in. need to get in behind it