Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Adding Power Locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Default Adding Power Locks

I've been doing some searching and am not finding what I need.
I got a 91 Civic, and a donor DX with power everything in it. I took out the driver's side manual door lock and noticed that there are wires going to it. Figuring they didn't do anything, I just cut them off. I installed the power lock mechanism. After starting the car, the automatic seatbelt wouldn't work. I got around this by shorting some of the wires together. There is a black, red, and white wire. If I short the white and black together, the seatbelt moves when the door is opened, and the light and beeper no longer annoy the He!! out of me.

My questions are: 1)Will there be any ill side effects of having the black and white wires permanently tied together?
2) What does the red wire do? If I short that, I hear some sort of clunk in the seatblet mechanism. So, I'm guessing it enables and dissables the feed of the automatic shoulder belt.??

Any help with this would be great. I would really like to add the power locks. Too bad the mirrors and windows would be a bit harder to accomplish.