Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

aftermarket keyless entry '98 civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Default aftermarket keyless entry '98 civic lx

So I bought a keyless entry system off ebay and I'm having an issue getting it to work. Here's the wiring diagram it came with (6 wires for the relay)

Negative trigger diagram
1st - non-connect
2nd - lock signal
3rd - ground
4th - non-connect
5th - unlock signal
6th - ground

Ok, so I've got the 3rd and 6th wires hooked up in the same spot I have the main ground wire, the 2nd wire is spliced into the green/white door lock wire in the kick panel, and the 5th wire is spliced in the green/orange door unlock wire. Seemed right to me but it doesn't work. The keyless entry unit is getting power and the light on the clicker flashes when I push the buttons but nothing happens to the locks.... does it look like I have everything set up right or am I missing something? Could also just be a crap unit but I figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I chuck it.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
HCF Member

If you don't have the OEM radio in your car, you missed something - the LX came with factory remote entry, but the receiver is inside the factory head unit. On the back of the head unit are two green connectors that should be what you're splicing into.

If you have an aftermarket unit, check to see if the wiring harness is connected to the factory head unit that's hidden somewhere behind the lower center portion of the dash.

Anyway, if you decide to keep the aftermarket keyless entry, I'd find that OEM head unit and remove it. Or if it's not there, splice the aftermarket unit into the connectors behind the dash.