Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Airbags Deployed: Car turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Default Airbags Deployed: Car turns over but wont start

Hey everyone. Im new to the forums hereand I own a 1996 Civic Hx D16y5. Recently i was incar accident and both of myfront air bags deployed. I have been asking around about why my car wont start even though it is turning over perfectly fine. The power windows, power locks, headlight(one was smashed), and blinkers etc. work normally. The front end damageI received did not hit my headers or engine, just the radiator(cracked on the top)the, front skirt, and front bumper hanging down. People have been telling me that the car cannot start unless the airbags are reinstalled but honestly I cannot afford that. Ive peeled through my Haynes manual and cant seem to locate the issue.My questions are: (1) Is there a sensor thatmay havebeen distrupted that connects to the radiator or in front of the radiator to cause my car not to run? (2) Could there have been damage in my steering column from the force of the airbag that is causing and electrical issue of some sort? I'd appreciate it if any of you enthusiasts could shed some light on the issue so i have myself a little Do It Yourself project considering I didnt have any collision =( THANK YOU.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Airbags Deployed: Car turns over but wont start

The airbag system is an critically important safety device, so avoid driving the car until the necessary repairs are completed. In addition, if the radiator is cracked, you risk overheating and destroying the engine if you run it.

With that said, I think the deployment of the airbags and the no-start condition are separate issues.

1) Check for blown fuses under the hood and dash. Is the CEL ON?

2) Listen for the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for a few seconds when you turn the ignition key to ON. If you don't hear the priming, you have a problem with the main relay/fuel pump circuit.

3) Check for spark at all four plugs. If you don't have spark, check whether the distributor connector has battery power when you turn the ignition key to ON.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 PM

There doesnt appear to be any blown fuses and my CEL was on prior to the accident because of my O2 sensor which is somewhat astronomical in price(350 dollars- 5 wire). My car had been running lean. However, I did listen for the fuel pump to prime and i didNOT hear the humming you mentioned and in hindsight know exactly what your saying. Its something I would have simply overlooked... Now I have myself a project to get started on. Ronj, thanks alot

Old 07-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MuffinMan21
There doesnt appear to be any blown fuses and my CEL was on prior to the accident because of my O2 sensor which is somewhat astronomical in price(350 dollars- 5 wire). My car had been running lean.
Retrieve CEL trouble codes as detailed at the link in my signature (new ones may have appeared).

Check for O2 sensor prices here (assuming the sensor is actually bad):

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

However, I did listen for the fuel pump to prime and i did NOT hear the humming you mentioned and in hindsight know exactly what your saying. Its something I would have simply overlooked... Now I have myself a project to get started on.
I HIGHLY recommend that you carefully double check ALL fuses under the hood and dash. If no blown fuses are found, then here"s how to troubleshoot:

Name:  picture_1234.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  picture_1235.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  82.7 KB

Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
gwl
HCF Member

TheO2 5 wire sensor for a MT HX is the most expensive part that is unique for the Civic. If I would have known the HX was a low production model with high priced parts, I would have bought an EX.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Thanks. Good to know. Maybe try some online salvage yards?