Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

altenator problem 94 dx

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Default altenator problem 94 dx

Hey guys im having a problem removing the bottem retaining bolt on my 94 honda civic dx its got a b15 series in it. the retaining bolt will not for the life of me come out. everytime i try to move the bolt it just moves the whole altenator and trying to tap out the bolt doesnt even help either. it is stuck with a capital S. ive tried using a sawsall between the small gap between the bracket the altenator sits in but to no avail. so my other alternative is to torch it out. any ideas on how i can go about doing this without damaging the block. im scared to use a cutting torch near it. I mean after awile trying to get it out i started mashing the bolt with a crowbar and a hammer. still nothing. i just want to get that damn bolt off to replace the altenaor. pleeeez help

Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 PM

Well it may be too late with all the beating it has taken but soak it with PB Blast or Liquid wrench. After a good soak turn it as you try to pry it out.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:48 PM
HCF Member

Hmm could be a shop tighten it really hard like a Mother****** (with a capital M). I'm currently experiencing this with my A/C belt aswell where one of the bolts is all beaten up and the crank can't turn it cuz the bolt is all screwed up. I would suggest to try to go to your nearest gas station that has a shop and ask the mechanic if he can loosen it up a bit for u. I had to do that last week because Honda tighten my nuts and bolts on my Air Filter and Ignition Coils and i had to ask the mechanic at the gas station to loosen them up for me wit his Air Gun.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

are you trying to do this with the front driver's wheel off? I started to change mine with the wheel on and it was a pain. After removing the wheel, I had more room for leverage etc. When you say the retaining bolt, you might consider putting the other bolt back on so that the alt will not spin. this way all your torque will go towards turning the stuck bolt. In my 98, I didn't have to use pb blaster at all.

the bigger problem was the bolt that held the lower mounting bracket for me. let us know how it goes.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

even when i changed one at a shop we had truble with that bolt we just used a torch and burnt it out

Old 12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by mundy5
...After removing the wheel, I had more room for leverage etc.
Yeah, also remove the splash guard. Then you'll have full view and access to the bolt. It should be removable without any heat.