Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Annoying rattling noise from dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Default Annoying rattling noise from dash

I drive a 2009 Honda Civic Coupe Lx. I keep hearing the rattling/vibrating noise anytime I drive on rough roads, go over consistent bumps, etc. At first I thought it was only from the right passenger side seat belt area. So I decided to test it out. I had someone sit in the car, they also heard the same noise, however, they said it was coming from the driver side. Perplexed, I decided to let them drive the car and me be the passenger. Interestingly, we both heard the noise. I (the passenger this time) thought the noise was coming from the driver side of the dash, and the driver thought the noise was coming from the passenger side of the dash. This rattling/vibrating noise is the most annoying thing on the planet and I really want it to go away.

I have read multiple forums..some say it could be the struts, but I just had my struts replaced. I honestly do not want to take it to a dealer because I have a better chance at getting ripped off than anything else because "they wont hear/are unable to reproduce the noise" or would want to take my whole dash apart which is probably unnecessary. It sounds like a nut or bolt is loose and I have a huge urge to fix whatever it is myself only I have no idea what it is or where it could be coming from! Does anyone anywhere have any suggestions? Or has anyone anywhere even had this problem?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Default exact same problem with my Civic 2012; rattling noise from dashboard

I believe to have the exact same problem with my civic 2012 and it started after 10,000 miles. I now have only 15,000 miles on it. Initially I suspected it was coming from the passenger side, and just like the previous case, if you sitting on the passenger's side it sounds like coming from the dashboard on driver's side. Whenever the road is any less than buttery smooth, it started to rattle which I also think to be extremely annoying. Initially, I thought it could be a penny or a CD sitting some here in the dash-storage but its definitely not the case as I cleaned the car and the noise was still here

I took it to the Honda dealer four months ago in Santa Fe, NM and they claimed not to be able to reproduce the noise.

I also noticed that on a hot summer day the rattling noise will be significantly less during the day time, but in the morning or in the evening (after the weather cools down) it is quite loud and anybody sitting in the car can hear it.

This is exactly why I believe the dealer couldn't hear it because it was 95 degrees outside when they performed the test drive around 12:30 pm.

But they wanted to open to whole dash and I did not like the idea since they had no clue what was wrong. I thought there is a strong chance they might just end up loosing up a few more screws with an enhanced rattling noise, and then later deny any responsibility.

I don't know what to do. If you are having the similar experience and got your situation solved, please let me (us) know.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Default Dashboard Rattling Noise At Speed

Our 2006 Civic just started making a rattling noise over 120km/h. It doesn't make the noise all the time but comes and goes. It has nothing to do with the heating/cooling system in the car as I've turned it off, adjusted the temp from cold to hot and changed it from defrost to floor and everywhere in between. It sounds to me like it's in the dash behind the tachometer. It can get quite loud and then just goes away. We have 185,000 kms on the car and have never had this noise in the past 8 years.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks...

Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

lol get use to it your cars five years old now so things will start to rattle don't even ask about my 04.