Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

antifreeze prob goes into bottel and sputters on start up sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member
Default antifreeze prob goes into bottel and sputters on start up sometimes

here is a 1994 honda civic that has me stumped i put in some coolent and when i drive 25 miles its all in the overflow bottel i burp the rad and it goes in fast i see that i can bleed this on the housing yes i do read forums before i post. also when i start it it sputters a little and goes away so would this be becuse the coolent is not flowing threw the motor right?

when i rev it up the hose gets hard quick and i can burp it and it does it over and over ?
1/17/08
update on the civic did test on head all cylenders were good all at 12 on the psi when i took out all the plugs it still was getting pressure in the coolint so i took the head off and now its all cleaned up looks like it was #3 on the head letting pressure threw i will have head checked next week sometime to see if i need one or it is good i would rather go new to save time and money in the long run.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26724/5F1DFD0CD83843BA89F7916992B59F85.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: antifreeze prob goes into bottel and sputters on start up sometimes

I think you may need to buy a new radiator cap because your current one cannot hold proper pressure.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM

MN eh? me also... i think i lowballed you on your hatch.. lol Craigslist ftw. the coolant has no difference to when the car starts up though, it actually isnt even let in until the motor gets warm.. especially in MN. I just bought a 92 Civic and it has a blown headgasket and it spudders at start, rev it up a bit and its just normal until it heats up then its a different story.. I'm not your man for your diagnostics but, maybe you have a block? have you tried flushing it?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

did that 2 days ago spendy little things thanks for the help

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

yea i did that tonight spent 2 hours trying to get all the air out of it BUT i think that there is a bit more in it still as i rev it up the thing seems to be back at squar 1 so i will see when i drive it today if i got it all out and my fan has not kicked on but its 10- below i dont think its warm enuff for that but i did the jumper on it and it works good and had a good flow coming out the bleeder

still have it for sale if you want to buy it beat a 2007 chevy truck with it on the way to bemidji his slug cut out so i passed him at 115mph wife was right behind me too bet he felt dumb.just leting you know it runs good

Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The radiator cap controls flow in and out of the bottle. Especially if the top outer rubber gasket on the cap is cracked you will have a situation where coolant goes into the bottle but doesn't return to the radiator like it should when the engine cools.

But it sounds like it may have a leak in the head gasket that is letting combustion gas into the coolant. They make an analyzer to tell if the gas in the radiator is simply air or combustion gas from a leaky engine.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 AM

head gasket!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the help i belive what you are saying as i rev it up its right there with pressure on the hose on top when holding it and sometimes when i start it,it sputters and blue gray smoke out the pipe so i will be doing a head gasket that sucks but what should a person do before just replacing it? as to make sure? i am getting tired of cars i had to change my wifes intake gaskets on her 1997 blazer last night took 5 hours to do that but i saw it coming out of the intake this one is getting me mad thanks for the help on this

Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

thanks guess that is the next step to do i will post when i do this to help others on what i find thanks to all for now