Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hesitations and Sputters

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Default Hesitations and Sputters

I have a 90 model DX. I just had a water pump and timing belt put on. I also had all the seals replaced and the belts replaced.

Now it will sputter and hesitate occasionally while driving at about 50 mph. I changed the fuel filter thinking that was the cause. But it still happens. It's a rather rough jolt when it happens as though the engine is going dead and then restarts.

My theory is that the plugs and wires need replacing. But I'm not certain.

I came home today and as I was pulling into the drive my civic sputtered and stalled out. I finally was able to get it restarted after a few failed attempts. During the restart it would turn over, but would stay cranked. I tried one last time and gave it a little gas with the pedal and this time it sputtered to life, but was running rough.

I pulled it into my garage and began to change out the plug wires (I realized I didn't have the extension or socket needed to change the plugs). As I removed the old plug wires and looked down into the the spark plug well I noticed what I think is a rather large amount of oil on top of the plugs. Anyone have thoughts on that? Should I be worried?

I've included a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Hesitations and Sputters-sparkplugwelloil.jpg