Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

any idea what this sound could be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Default any idea what this sound could be?

new to the forum & looking for some help/advice.

'99 civic ex, 4-door sedan, automatic

there are several sounds about which i'm concerned. all of them come from the driver's side, front wheel.

the first occurs when i back out of my driveway in the morning or any time i haven't driven the car for several hours. it only happens in reverse. it sounds like a whine, not a squeak, & it's constant. it's still there even if i shift into neutral & coast in reverse. it doesn't change if i apply the brakes. if i've been driving for awhile & then i reverse, the sound isn't always there.

the other sound is a high-pitched, continuous squeaking sound, like metal rubbing on metal that occurs while driving forward. it's not always there. again, it's usually there if i haven't driven for awhile & sometimes goes away after i've driven awhile. it changes if i tap the brakes, sometimes going away when i do so.

and that brings me to the final sound. this is the typical squealing sound of old brakes that everyone has heard before. it can be heard when the brakes are applied, again coming from the front, driver's side wheel. again, it doesn't happen EVERY time i apply the brakes.

are all 3 of these sounds related to old brakes, or do i have more than one problem? could the first 2 sounds be related to wheel bearings that simply need to be re-packed? could it be something else causing the sounds that aren't related to wheel bearings?

what exactly do i need to do to get rid of the squealing brakes? do squealing brakes ALWAYS indicate that something is wrong, or are squealing brakes sometimes normal?

thanks for any help.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:32 PM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: any idea what this sound could be?

sounds like you need a front brake job.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Default RE: any idea what this sound could be?

Well I think u might have 2 get ur control arms checked. I had a similar problem and it sounded like metal on metal when i was pressing the brakes. The body would roll n I would hear it. I had to get new bushings put in. hopefully that helps