Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Auto Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Default Auto Tranny Question

Hey whats going on guys.

Have a few questions, I have a 95 auto 1.5 16v honda civic.

I went ahead and replaced the upper control arms, and tie bar ends both sides.

The right side when I ripped out the stock/old upper control arm, the driveshaft popped out from the hub right near the rotor, opened up the boot an placed it back in an spun it in Neutral, seemed everything was good.

Continued and did both sides. Went for a test drive everything seemed very good.

A few hours later, I went for a ride, and made a sharp slow moving left turn at a street, and there was some grinding, possibly drivehaft, or tranny.

After that put it in park, and back to drive and was fine.
Then I stopped at a stop sign an there was a slight hill, an the car started to roll back a little while in drive.

I then stop put it in park, an back to drive and caught back into gear and was moving. Then pulled over to a parking lot to see what was going on. Put it in reverse started to grind, then back to drive and the car would not move just make a tranny whine as it would be driving but stood still.

Now the car is sitting at the parking lot, any suggestions, or help what could have gone wrong. Possibly need new tranny, or did the driveshafts pop out and started grinding the internals of the tranny.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, check the axles where they enter the transmission.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Would it be a better Idea in taking the axles out and checking what the teeth look like inside of the tranny, including the teeth at the end of the axles.

Thanxs for the reply.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by jureksoccer
Would it be a better Idea in taking the axles out and checking what the teeth look like inside of the tranny, including the teeth at the end of the axles.

Thanxs for the reply.
That's a good idea, but visual inspection without the axles removed may tell you whether removal of the axle is necessary. With the front end on stands, also turn the wheels while watching and listening to the axles and transmission.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 AM

I will be picking up the car today with the trailer.

Throw it on a few stands and check if the cv joint area is the culprit, or if the actual axle assembly near the tranny is the problem. Sure hope it isn't the tranny. Thought these cars never broke. I guess not the slush boxes.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The outer CV joint (the one near the wheel) should never be falling apart. They are not intended to come apart for service without special tools-- it is very hard to take them apart even on purpose. If that's what you're saying happened, you need to replace the CV axle because that outer joint is bad.

The inner CV joint will fall apart inside if you over-extend it. It is then necessary to take the boot off and put all the pieces back together.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:58 PM

Thank you for that very helpful post, cleared up so much.

I got the car in the garage finally, will be taking it apart tonight. This is what i figured went wrong, when I took a look at the online service manuals.

When I pulled on the rotor, the right side only, the outer cv joint (near the wheel) popped right out, and couldn't get it to fit right in. Until I took the boot out and figured what was going on. Now I took a look at what the manual consists of, and looks like there is a stopper right, a spider ring, a circlip, and the actual inboard joint. When I was trying to fit the center drive shaft back into the spider ring, everything went swell, but must have not noticed about the stopper ring or circlip.

What do you think of me actually taking apart the whole assembly and reinstalling all the parts back together correctly including the rollers. Because my guess it seams like the rollers weren't even put into the spider rings correctly. I didnt py attention to it correctly.

Or is it better of in getting the whole new unit. I can get the actual CV Half Shaft Assembly for about $50, and the Front Outer CV Joint Kit about $70.

I was thinking at $50 each I would get the half shaft assembly and get both sides done right away. Do the half shaft assembly include the outer cv joint's as well, or do I have to purchase that separately.

What do you guys think.

http://i43.tinypic.com/99gfnb.jpg

Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

My recommendation is that you just replace the entire axle. I bought a brand new axle with a damper for $85 from O'Reilly. It came with a lifetime warranty.