Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

axel problem with a 90 civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Default axel problem with a 90 civic hatch

ok i just got a civic 90 dx hatch i never worked on one befor worked on many older chevy's befor anyways

i got this civic the cv boots were jacked my buddie gave me the new axels when i got the car from him took em out put everything back the way it was with the new axels went to take it for a test drive as soon as i hit the gas pedel down and give it some torqe the axels spin not the tire wtf????? took it apart and back together a few times same issue

anybody know what cause this and how to fix any help would be great thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 04:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: axel problem with a 90 civic hatch

Sounds like the axles are not matched with the Civic and that the outward male axle is smaller than the female receptor in the hub.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 AM

I thought the axels came with the cv joints attached and you were never supposed to take them off. Then I am not an expert on honda trans axels and cv joints.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 AM

2nd thought.

My repair book for my 83 Honda civic said I was supposed to carefully pry the axel and cv joint from the trans to take it off cause yanking them out could damage the cv joint, axel or trans. Did your thief carefully pry them out? lol.

My mechanic also said not to start yanking them out like a lot of people did cause it would break the cv joint.

Also there is a small cir clip sort of thing on the end of the axel that holds it in the trans. If you pry it out slowly it releases and I assume if you try to yank it out it catches and will not release unless you rip it out. Are those little cir clip things still on the axel.

It sounds like you assumed the cv joints are still good?

Just guesses for you to check out.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You're saying the whole axle turns (all the way to the end with the nut on it) but the wheel doesn't? You must have the wrong axle, it is not engaging the splines in the wheel hub.

More common problems are not having the axles fully engaged in the transmission, or pulling the inner CV joint out too far during installation so the inner joint comes apart inside.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 AM

ok so when i got the civic my duddie gave me the axles and it sounds like there the wrong ones

You're saying the whole axle turns (all the way to the end with the nut on it) but the wheel doesn't

thats exactly what i am saying sounds heathly to!!! if you like grinding noise's i only drove it like 5 feet and was like WTF!!!