Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

battery change issues...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Default battery change issues...?

I recently had to change the battery in 2002 civic and now I am having some issues with it. First thing I am getting no power to the radio, Second thing everytime the car engine is shut off the trip meter changes back to the original mile reading on it and last but the craziest is the door lock on the dirver side will not work unless the car is running and the driver door is shut?!? Anyone have any suggestions I have tried my dealer but it is out of warranty and they want a bundle of cash as usual.......thank you in advance!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: battery change issues...?

How is you battery connection clean,tight thats the first thing I would check since the swap has been done recently.On my car I have wires My amp and such into my positive post the 2 11 mm
need to be checked to.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:59 PM

I have check the battery connection it is good and I check some fuses but they look good also; can they be shorted out and I not see it?

Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM

The only reason I can think that the radio won't function is because it has a built in anti-theft system. Check your owner's manual. There should be a section about disconnecting/changing the battery, or the effects it has on other components. Many Hondas require a security code to be entered into the radio after the power has been disconnected for a certain amount of time before it will function. It is supposed to discourage thieves from stealing the systems because if you don't have the code, you can't use the radio (and the dealer won't give you the code of you can't prove ownership of the vehicle). I don't know about the door locks or the odometer, but it may also be related. If you don't have the code, you may have to pull the radio out and take it to a dealer.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Phil Mygroin

The only reason I can think that the radio won't function is because it has a built in anti-theft system. Check your owner's manual. There should be a section about disconnecting/changing the battery, or the effects it has on other components. Many Hondas require a security code to be entered into the radio after the power has been disconnected for a certain amount of time before it will function. It is supposed to discourage thieves from stealing the systems because if you don't have the code, you can't use the radio (and the dealer won't give you the code of you can't prove ownership of the vehicle). I don't know about the door locks or the odometer, but it may also be related. If you don't have the code, you may have to pull the radio out and take it to a dealer.
VERY True...when you change the battery, the radio will set a code that will not let you operate it unless you take it to a dealership...