Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Smile battery problems

My 1994 honda civics battery is going dead after sitting. It does not do it all the time but seems like the problem happens more frequently the longer it sits. The battery is almost new and I am pretty sure the alternator is fine. There are no lights or anything like that left on to cause this. Does anyone have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.

Background - The trunk was having problems closing so i thought it was the trunk light so I took it out. Does the battery lose power if a bulb is not in?

and my old after market stereo was broke so I took it out. Im pretty sure the battery did not die when it was disconnected. Then I installed another one a few days ago and the problem happened again after a few days of being fine. BTW- I have no subwoofers or amps that could be draining the battery. OEM speakers only thing aftermarket is the stereo itself.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

Check the alternator by running the car and then disconnecting the negative battery terminal, if the car stalls out then that is a sure fire way to tell if there is a bad alternator (if you do not have a multimeter).

If the battery dies near completely once it is likely that it is not properly holding a charge anymore but that would only be a by product of the main problem.

Any auto store should be able to do a charge test on your battery and tell you if it is working.

Sounds like it could very likely be a break in a wire somewhere that is draining power into the chassis of the car. I had to deal with this once, it is NOT fun to find the break but one of the easiest things to fix once you do find it (electrical tape)...

Taking out a bulb would not cause power to drain.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check alternator by measuring battery voltage with the engine running (13.5 to 15.0 volts is OK). The old test of disconnecting the battery with the engine running is not a good idea on a modern car.

Next time you are going to be parked for a few days, disconnect the battery. Then reconnect it when you come back. If it is still dead then, the battery is running down by itself and needs to be replaced.