Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake, strut, or cv

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Default brake, strut, or cv

I can't figure this one out. I recently replaced the front brakes, new pads, turned rotors and rebuilt the calipers. A couple days after that when I go to brake hear a grinding noise at speedthat turns into a sort of creak as the car slows down and then to a nice solid creak when the car is barely moving (ie: Creak Creak, Creak... as the wheel does a rotation). I don't have any brake feed back through the steering wheel.There is no apparent vibration or pulsing. I can let go of the wheel with the brakes applied andthe car doesn't pull in any direction.

Do you think that the timing of this is coincidence or a product of having new brakes on old hub bearings and CV's?

Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: brake, strut, or cv

haha check the CV boot/axel on both sides. Mine was the cv boot on the driver side and i ended up replacing the whole axel to make it easier. I then replaced rotors and pads. But ya ya the CV axel. My grinding was also one of my brake pads worn down all the way to the metal. My cv boot looked like that.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

are your nuts tight.....lug nuts

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Also, if you lift up the car look around see if, where the axels meet the transmission, there is any excessive wiggle/play. I had a very similiar problem and it was the differential in my tranny.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:14 AM

I considered the lug nuts, but I've take the tire off and put it back twice so I'm sure those are not the problem.

I noticed that when it was cold and rainyout I didn't get the noise (3-4 Celcius) or atleast it wasn't very loud at that point. This is driving me crazy. I also noticed it creaks in reverse. I'll get to the bottom of this! I'll check where the axels meet the tranny and see if there is any play.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 AM

Okay, so if it's this issue with the differential does mean I may have to replace it? Please say no!

I only get this sound when the car is slowing down, more so when the brakes are applied. I'm sure now that it is not the brakes making the noise. They both lock up at the same time on hard stops with no pull in any direction. Yeah, I had a heart attack moment on the weekend when some dumbass decided to stop suddenly for a pedestrian.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:40 AM

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_89552/tm.htm

I should have checked the solved problem section! The sound clip is exactly what my car sounds like. So now it is the rotors and pads and not the CV or bearing. YayI get to take my tires off again!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

Good job on the trial and error and finding the problem urself.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:57 PM

I put new rotors on today and the sound is gone.

I'll have to wait until the machining on the rotors is worn/burned in by the pads before I'm sure the problem is solved. I went over to a co-workers house who happens to be knowlegeble in this stuff and he pointed out that the turned rotors were warped... go figure! The right(pasenger)much worse than theleft. I guess the thinner steel after milling couldn't take the heat, that would explain why it took a day or two before the noise came about.The warping is so vague you don't get that pulsing in the steering when youbrake. You can see iton the surface of the disk quite clearly though. The worst part is theturningalmost cost as much as the new rotors. [:'(]

One thought I do have is the pad thickness, in the linkI posted above to thesolution. It's mentioned that the pads were too thick. I'm guessing that the turned rotors were milled down enough for his calipers to slip over. My new pads and now new rotors fit perfectly with about 1/16" of play before the pistons grip. I hope this is the end of the mystery noise![sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 06-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Oh and thanks for the tips guys!