Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Default Brake Vibration

For those who dont know, 2000 Civic SI with JDM h22 swap.
When I brake on my car sometimes the steeringwheel will violently shake, sometimes slighty, sometimes not at all. It seems to do it the worst when going high speed and then braking. Im thinking mayby one of my brake rotors is warped? If there is any easy way to tell I would appreciate it. My concern is that I had my front passenger side axle almost come out twice, then had custom work done to it to extend the shaft, since the person who owned the car before me lied and told me he bought custom axles... So I am afraid that it might be the axle trying to pop out and kill me. Its been doing this for a while, but Im extremely lazy. Any info on any possibility or checkability will be greatly appreciated, and I know I can trust you guys. Thx In advance!

Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake Vibration

it could just be the brake pads are worn out and are digging into the rotors.......most likely the case......just feel the rotors with ur hand.......there shoudlnt really be any big grooves in them.......if there are.......replace the pads and cut the rotors.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:33 AM
HCF Member

get new rotors, and get good axles. the axles dont seem like the problem, or it would shake more often than just when you are braking, but they sound like they could be a new problem shortly. but what you are describing sounds exactly like warped rotors. dont bother getting them cut, youre better off replacing them. if you warped them as is, then you will do it again when there is less metal there. and if you drive hard, then the factory specs arent really good enough anymore. you need a certain amount of metal there to dissipate the heat so as not to boil your brake fluid. if it boils, it gets bubbles. bubbles compress, and the pedal gets spongy. not fun when you realize it at 110mph with cars stopped in front of you.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:33 PM

An easy way to tell if your rotors are warped is when driving, coming towards a stop, just lightly press on the brake pedal until you almost come to a stop. If your brake pedal moves up and down slightly while lightly applying the brakes, that means your rotors are warped.
IMO, with a H22 swap, you'll be cruisin a bit faster than normal, so I'd upgrade your brakes and get a larger rotor with larger calipers. Anyone can go fast, but without brakes, you won't be there to enjoy the ride!