Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brakes keeping wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Default Brakes keeping wierd noise

Ok, the brakes used to keep this crunching noise and the steering wheel used to vibrate when the brakes were applied. The mechanic said that the rotor needed refacing. After the reface, the vibration went away and the scrunching noise as well. 2 days later the same noise returned, so I changed the brake pads. The noise went away for a day then returned. I am now not sure what is causing it but its a scrunching grinding noise. Also the steering gets unstable under heavy braking (NOT VIBRATION) just tends to pull left and right on its own.
Sometimes the same steering problem arises without brakes on uneven surfaces. Someone suggested that the vibrations before may have caused the power steering fluid in the rack to foam. Thus causing the unstable steering. I have posted up a request for a guide on how to change the fluid. Any other suggestions for correction of these problems?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brakes keeping wierd noise

did you get your tires balanced, and/or alighned? (bad spelling)

Old 03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

I doubt this was your problem, but when you replace/ resurface rotors that are uneven, its better to replace the pads at the same time. They can be worn unevenly, and I'm guessing could cause the rotors to become uneven more quickly on a hard brake.

If it's pulling when you're not braking as well, defintely get it aligned.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:04 AM

I would tend to think that pulling during braking would be from one brake working well and the other not. Thus pulling the car to one side. I would check movement on the calipers, they may be sticking closed. Pull the pins and make sure they are straight, clean and lubricated well.

Don't get me wrong, it may very well be the alignment, but this is something to look at first.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 AM
HCF Member

Did the steering problem occur after you changed the brakes? It may be a problem with the calipers. How did you push the pistons back? just push them back or open the bleeder and push them back? If the car is older or has allot of miles sometimes a caliper can stick after pushing them back. But it is pretty rare. I would also check the slide pins and all of the components of the calipers. The noise may be from the quality of the pads, some lower quality pads will make all kinds of noise. Or you can check you suspension components by shaking your tires side to side (inner and outer tie rod ends/rack and pinion components) and shake it up and down (ball joints/control arm bushings) to see if they have play in them. allthough an alignment shop will usually check that before they align it becuase if there is any problem with your suspension becuase the alignment will not stay in specifications. You can probably find a place that will do a free brake/overall inspection of your car for free. There are allot of them out there.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-25-2007, 07:24 AM

I already had the tie rod ends changes about 3 months ago and I got an alignment after. What I was wondering is that if the vibrations caused from when the rotor needed resurfacing could have damaged the caliper. And also since the wheel was vibrating if that would have caused the power steering fluid to foam.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

Uaually power steering fluid only foams when it has air in it. Like if you change a power steering component, you have to bleed the system by starting ht ecar and turning the wheels bakc and forth. which usually leads to fowming fluid. So I wouldnt say that a vibration caused foaming and affected your steering. And the rotors pulsating might cause damage to your calipers, but I highly doubt it. If anything it could do damage to suspension parts that are allready worn. such as a tie rod on a car with allot of miles on it, it could push it enough to go bad.

Do you have some kind of warrenty where you got the alignment done. If you do it wouldnt hurt to have them throw the machine on it and see where the specs are.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 PM

will do