Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Break Pedal to the Floor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Default Break Pedal to the Floor

Greetings.

I have a 2014 1.8 Civic Sport with 7k kilometers. A week ago I started hearing a slight metallic click when I released the brake pedal. As a test, with the engine on and while stopped I was able to press the brake pedal to the floor with a slight bit force. The car brakes normally while driving, but I'm concerned because from what I've heard the brake pedal should never touch the floor.

Does anyone know if this is normal for a Civic's brake pedal to touch the floor with a bit of firm pressure while at a stop? If I didn't notice the click when releasing the brake I don't think I would have ever noticed this.

Last edited by pentta; 03-06-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Check your brake fluid level, although you should have a brake light on if that is a problem. Beyond that normally if you are losing break pressure there is a leak in the system and that should almost certainly drain your fluid out over time.

Let us know what the fix was, so we can learn.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:52 AM

I took the car into the dealer service center. They decided it was a faulty master brake cylinder, and ordered a new one. No telling the cause, but for the record it's definitely not normal for the brake pedal to go to the floor with a bit of pressure (car on). If it wasn't for the initial clicking sound (which has vanished) I wouldn't have pushed the pedal to the floor to test it in the first place. Glad I did since I live on a mountain and if the cylinder failed completely it could have been very bad.