Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

break squeek

Old 08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Default break squeek

everytime i pull up at a red light and i put it in nutral and press on the break my car squeeks any one know why? and also my stereo cuts in and out volume wise...it shouldnt be the battery i just got a new one any help i would appreciate

Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: xxx

either dirty breaks or you need new breaks

Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM

i just got new brakes i got new steering components and calipers

Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
HCF Member

Did you seat the brake pads after you installed them? And are you sure that you put them on right?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
HCF Member

Um breaks squeek there is alittle tab on breaks and whne it gets low it rubs againsed rotors means its time for new brakes not changeing em means the tab can cut into rotors and **** them up um the radio thing? is it aftermarket radio? if so it could be a short or not getting a ground or not a constant 12v source the way electric works in a car each time you turn on light radio, etc the car has to complete a circut to generate electric to that circuit could be a short or radio going bad

Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

The 'wear indicators' on the brake pads won't make any noise unless the car is moving. Then it's more of a constant squeal or high-pitched grinding than a squeak.

Do you hear the sound when you turn on the lights or any other electrical components? You didn't give a lot of information about the electrical system of your car (i.e., what kind of stereo components, etc) that you have.

I know when I had my old Mustang, I knew the stator inside the alternator went out because my stereo would have a high-pitched 'whine' while it was going bad, and when it finally gave up (running straight off the battery at that point), the stereo would cut in and out when I stepped on the brakes or used the signal lights and other stuff. I also had simliar symptoms when the ground strap from the battery to the engine to the frame was loose. Sometimes hitting a bump would solve it for awhile (it re-established the ground and charged the battery), and it would bounce loose and cause the problem again with a different bump. Took me a week to figure that one out.