Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car just died on me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Default Car just died on me...

Hi, I had just got done adjusting the valves on my '93 civic DX, whenwhile tigtening the last valve cover nut (the one that has the engine ground wire connected to it) the bolt snapped off inside the nut.After I was done throwing things around and swearing up a storm, I decided to take the car off the ramps and order a new bolt the next day.

So IStarted the car up... backed it up down the ramps... got out of the car to shut the hood... and like a light switch, the car stopped running. I can't get it started again...turns over but wont start.

It may be important to note that the engine ground wire that is attatched to to the chassis and to the valve cover was not connected when I took it down from the ramps.

I don't know...could not having the engine ground wire attatched to the valve cover cause this to happen?

I'm eagerly awaiting any suggestions.

Thank you, Ryan

Old 04-23-2008, 05:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car just died on me...

It is possible that the ground wire has came loose (if you havereconnected it) It needs to be connected properly. Make sure that is back on correctly first.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Hello, I'm new here. But I had the same problem when the body shop got done putting on a new hood, grille, headlights, and bumper because some big truck backed into it... They were backing it out of the garage and it died out, and couldn't get it started, as it turns out it was the distributor, I think. I never did the repair, but I was told what the problem was. I would check that if the ground is properly connected.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I've replaced the busted bolt and tightened the ground wire on the valve cover and still nothing.Could I have shorted something out while this ground wire was disconnected? All my fuses are fine. It's frustrating, the car ran great for 189,000 miles, I attempt to make some minor adjustments to improve the engine, and the car dies on me for the first time ever.
I think my father-in-law was right, ifa car is running good... don't f*** with it.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

Well your father in law was damn right and i love that saying because it is so true. In your case though i dont know what it can be but why would u mess with the negine when you dont know how to do it. I really hope u figure it out because stuff like that sucks, if you got a mechanic ask them for a suggestion they usually do help their costumers (sometimes anyway).
Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Well, I have a service manual which told me the valves should be adjusted from time to time.The job sounded easy and was easy. My wise father-in-law also says "there is no such thing as the word can't." In the event somethingdoes gowrong with your car, he would tell me, "the good lord gave you a brain to think with and eyes to read...go to the library, get a manual and learn something, there's no such thing as the word can't!" It's just unfortunate that I didn't take the first bit of advice I posted ealier..."if the car is running fine, don't f*** with it!" Also, I'd rather not pay a mechanic to do something that I can possibly do.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the valve adjustment I performed has nothing to do with my starting problems. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong...that's why i've posted.
I'm am going to try and gets some advice from a mechanic like you suggested though.

Thanks, Ryan

Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Since its turning over, check if you have any spark. Maybe you bump a wire connector around the distributor.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you look for blown fuses in both the under-hood and -dash fuse boxes?