Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Default Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?

Hey PPL,
Get a load of this. I bring my perfectly running 1995 Civic Hatchback CX with a D15B7 swap (done a couple years ago) into my garage to do some tire balancing, check the spark plugs and do some other regular maintenance including topping up coolant, clutch resevoir and engine oil. 1 day before, I lost the drive belt and I replaced that with some difficulty because the Alternator slightly ceased to the bracket, but I got it free after some smacks. In the process I made a tiny crack in the outside shell of the Alternator, but took the car for a drive and everything works more than perfect. So after the regular maintenance, I go to bring her out of the garage, I start the car and she runs, and as I was backing out she would sputter and backfire and lose power and this would happen irradically. Now, after trying to find out the problem, she will start and then she will stall, and everytime I try to start her, she keeps on stalling. Compression test is 152 per cylinder. Any Ideas?? Thanks

Old 01-20-2007, 07:18 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?

I would say that a certain sensor that is supposed to tell the engine you changed gears and the idle speed has to be changed got broke, but since your car dies right after starting it sounds like something else. Do you hear the fuel pump engage?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?

Maybe this is some sort of a coil issue? The starter gets her runnin, and the sparks fail.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

Does it stall immediately as your release the key?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 PM

UPDATE: I took the Distributer cap off and filed some corrosion off of the contacts (in the cap and on the rotor). I bought new spark plug wires and made sure the cylinders were in correct firing order and now you can start the car and have her idling in neutral, or with your foot depressing the clutch and brake. BUT, when you put her in gear and release the clutch and press the gas, she sputters and dies......pretty much dances a little to (jerking back and forth). There is a B&M Fuel Pressure Gauge connected after the Fuel Filter and it always reads between 30 and 40, and when you press the gas, it drops in pressure. Maybe Fuel Pump? Im not sure, but 2 mechanics think its not the timing, but maybe it is. Ill post again tommorrow and how everything is working when I put some fuel system treatment in the gas and let her idle until the mixture goes through the entire system. Thanks guys for your help and I look forward to hearing from you more, this is my first Honda and im so in love with her, I really want her to go.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:23 PM
HCF Member

Well, whatever mechanics say, I am almost sure it is a coil or ignitor.

While much less probable, a couple of more questions:
Howbig is fuel pressure drop? When did you change the fuel filter last time?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

don't laugh, but I used to drive a Chevette....it had a vacume advance on teh distributor, and I broke the vacume line once and thats what it would do. Fire up, and then die right away...I don't think Hondas have vac advance on their dizzy's tho...anyone else have any ideas?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 PM
HCF Member

No, not for D series. EW series had them, even with PGM-FI

Old 01-21-2007, 05:49 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks alot for the feedback so far, its all helping. As for the Fuel Filter, I just bought the car a week ago, so I dont know when it was last changed and I will try to get the difference in fluctuations of Fuel Pressure today (Jan 21/07). In the mean time, I will try to get a Coil (first) and Ignitor (second) reasonably because of price, unless anyone can sell me an Ignitor, if anyone CAN sell me an Ignitor, I will pay $20 (Negotiable) and shipping, I cant afford anymore than that since I bought the spark plug wires, an unforseen expense. Thanks ppl.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

You did buy new wires on eBay for $10 + shipping, right? Right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?