Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Default RE: Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?

Nope, I bought Champion Spark Plug wires from Canadian Tire. I have 300+ Accel Thundersport wires but I need to bring back for warranty.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?

Hold on, man. Do you troubleshoot by replacing parts? It'sOK approachfor the dealer who has unlimited parts supply at hand, but being an individual with no money to waste, you need to employ a bit smarter approach - figure out what is bad first, and then replace. As for igniter and coil - check you spark quality using info here before you go buy anything.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 PM

UPDATE: I decided to tinker with my Civic for a bit and found this. She starts and is idling good. When I press the gas, the engine wants to die, but then when I let off the gas and push in on the clutch pedal, she goes back to idling normal! Any suggestions? As to troubleshooting with replacing parts, I get large discounts in certain places because I do mechanic work for free, but your right, it does get expensive, but sometimes thats good, then the car has new parts and I have the receipts to the parts, makes for a better re-sale value where I live. (but I dont think I will get rid of this car anytime soon)

Old 01-21-2007, 09:16 PM

OIL PRESSURE

EDIT: Could also be a vaccuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold and the throttle body.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:22 PM

I dont think it would be a vaccum leak since all I did was turn off the engine, clean spark plugs and put them back in again. I didnt play with any hoses, especially in and around the intake manifold. As to the OIL PRESSURE, the failure of that component would be noticeable wouldnt it, not that sudden. Not sure though. I have an ICM on the way, brand new and hardly cost me anything. I will hope to god that might work, if not, then I guess I will know thats not the problem. I will also get a COIL this week and try that, works on the parts car in the junkyard, so it should work on mine. When everything is done I will let you know, but on the other hand, keep on giving suggestions, and I will try to update the thread ASAP. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Hmm guess I didn't read thoroughly enough. Anyways, the symptoms point to the vaccuum leak. I can almost gurantee it is something rediculously simple.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Yeah hey,
I get kicks out of big problems with small fixes, it burns my **** to know that is probably is something small and I can't find the darn problem. Whats an easy way to look for vaccum leaks? Never had to check for them before.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

Does it throw any CEL?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 AM

Nope. No CEL, nothing, she just bogs heavily and when I release the gas and push in on the clutch, she goes back to idling perfect! I just ordered a NEW Ignition Coil and NEW ICM (2), for under $80 CDN!! They threw in an extra ICM all for the sake of friendship and the favors I have done. I guess I will be selling the other spare one off when it gets here lmao. So yeah, I don't think it will be a vaccum leak because the CEL will come on wouldnt it?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

Hmm, yea, I'm out of ideas so far, let's see how ignitor and coil will turn out and go from there if needed...

Quick Reply: Car Starts But Dies Right After, I Wonder If Anyone Can Solve This Problem?