Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't start after timing belt and water pump change

Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 AM
HCF Member
Default Car won't start after timing belt and water pump change

Hey, I just did my timing belt and water pump change, Now my car crank but wont start. I am getting fuel, spark and compression. (did a dry compression test) I am not sure what the problem is, I have the firing order correct. Mabye the timing belt is off a tooth? When I try to start it it sounds like atleast one cyclinder fired up mabye to, then it stalls out. Any ideas anyone before I get to towed to the shop torrmow?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Car won't start after timing belt and water pump change

Double check your timing. You don't have to take it all apart again to do that. Remove the upper timing belt cover so you can see the cam sprocket. Turn the crank to TDC (the SINGLE notch on the crank pulley, not the group of 3, is lined up with the pointer). Check the marks on the cam sprocket. You may have to turn the crank around exactly once to get the top mark on top.

You can also have the firing order correct, but the #1 wire on the wrong terminal. When you have the engine set to TDC, take the cap off and make sure the rotor is going to wire #1.