Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sever pulling to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 PM
HCF Member
Default Sever pulling to the right.

OK i have a few questions. I have a 99 civic ex 2 door. Running 14' stock wheels .At about 60 mph or so if you let go of the wheel is shots to the right like RIGHT now.You have to hold constant pressure down and to the left. At slower speeds you cannotnotice as bad but still it pulls.I have had my car in the shop a dozen times and still ike this. I have rotated and checked balance on all tires. The front right control arm was replaced. Its been aligned 3 times. I have a set of coil springs on it but it did not do this until about 6 months ago. Would a busted strut,or worn ball joints/tierods do this? And i am at about 111k miles should i replace the timing belt and water pump, they say to at 110k. Any info would help greatly.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Default RE: Sever pulling to the right.

Iused to have this problem and getting an alignment solved it... but i see you've had 3 already.

Were they able to set the alignment correctly? Did they run into problems? I know when I got mine aligned they couldn't get the camber all the way to zero. Is there a possibility they couldn'tdo the alignmentall the way? They should have given you a printout with diagrams of the alignment before and after.

EDIT: yes, replace your timing belt and water pump ASAP. Also, replace your timing belt tensioner while your in there.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

i had a similar problem on my civic but my was due to bad tire. what i did was switch the tire from the right side to the left side and i noticed a different pull. i agree with trustdestruction sometimes shops wont be able to align camber all the way or even at all and that can cause a slight pull if its bad enough and some shops won't even tell u that. so try a diff. shop somewhere with a good reputation

Old 01-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

^ I agree it could be a tire. Check the air pressure in all 4 tires. Switch the front tires left and right and see if that makes it pull to the left.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

It did this even after i got brand new tires. Im still lost

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

Any other ideas?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

have you gotten a print out from the alignment that says your alignment is within specs?

on my 94civic my caster is off from a posible bent part... but its not adjustable.
but even if the car was lowered or bent up they should be able to adjust the TOE unless a part it frozen or seized and wont move and your alignment shop JUST DOESNT CARE cause you keep going back to them and pay them more money...

when i got my first alignment on my civic the guy was a jerk and didnt even tell me my rear adjuster was frozen till i went back and said it was still pulling!

if you dont get a print out of the alignment then i would stay their when they do the alignment and look at their instruments or computer screen to see what it says...

ALSO another good idea is to only have about 1/2 a tank of gas in the car and IF your a large person weigh yourself and setup some sandbags to about your weight and put them in the car around the drivers seat... that will also throw off your alignment some. its a good idea if you keep having alignment problems and their computer says it should be fine.