Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL not clearing, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 PM

Ok. so I decided to run a lead from the battery to the relay and see what happened. turned on the ignition and everything clicked. then traced backwards. turns out it was a fuse after all. I had checked them previously but either missed that one or didn't see it clearly. anyway, the car starts and runs. I still get a CEL, checked the code and it's flashing 14, which is the idle air control. I tested that and am getting proper voltage so I'm assuming the unit is EACV is bad. The only other thing I can't figure out is why the SRS light is on and stays on. Other than that, it finally runs, even though the idle is a bit rough and surges slightly at low speeds. In the meantime, thanks for your help and suggestions!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Unplug EACV and the engine should slow way down, if not there is an air leak (or EACV stuck open). To check that take the intake pipe off and see which of the 3 holes before the throttle plate is sucking air. Only the top one to the air screw should be. Also check that the throttle plate is closing fully and the throttle cable goes slack when gas pedal is not pressed. Anything that increases the idle up out of control will throw code 14.

I think the ECU test jumper also activates the SRS light to either come on steady or blink out SRS codes if there are any.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM

So i was out of town for a couple months and had to put this project on hold. I'm back now and trying to button it up, so I unplugged the eacv and the engine slowed way down, as well as the CEL light went off. It definitely sounded more normal. so would that symptom be indicative of a bad EACV? I'm skeptical of that going bad also given the original issue with this whole thing, speedo sensor catching fire. and is it common for EACV's to just go bad? I find it too coincidental that it would go bad at the same time. I did a test drive and found that it shifts a bit rough both upshifting and downshifiting. (it's and automatic) I spoke with the owner and she said it used to shift a bit rough, but not extreme. to me, it seems a bit extreme. when taking my foot off the gas pedal, it slows way down immediately, not smoothly like it should. would the EACV have anything to do with that, since throttle is directly related to air control and intake, would seem so.
Any info is always appreciated.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM

so i measured the resistance on the terminals of the EACV and found it to be within spec. i also measured voltage to the wire harness and got voltage. in addition, i swapped out the ecu just to see if that would change anything and no luck. at this point, i'm stumped, and the only other thing i can think to do is replace the EACV entirely and hope that fixes the problem. can anyone else think of anything? thanks