Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Default Check Engine light on

My check engine light was on two weeks ago. I took the civic to the Mr Tire. They did a diagnose, which cost $ 110. They told me that I need to have my canister purge valve replaced, and helped me replace it. However, last weekend, the check engine light was on again. I took the car to the Mr Tire, and they did another diagnose that told me that something was wrong with the newly installed canister purge valve, and help me replaced a new one. However, the light was one again. This time, Mr tire told me it might be something was wrong with the computer, and I need to take the car to the dealer. I took the car to the dealer today, and they told me that my gas cap was not tight at all, and help me tight it. This evening when I was driving the car, the engine light was on again... I am not familiar with cars at all. If it is something with the computer, how much does that cost?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Ying Zhang
My check engine light was on two weeks ago. I took the civic to the Mr Tire. They did a diagnose, which cost $ 110. They told me that I need to have my canister purge valve replaced, and helped me replace it. However, last weekend, the check engine light was on again. I took the car to the Mr Tire, and they did another diagnose that told me that something was wrong with the newly installed canister purge valve, and help me replaced a new one. However, the light was one again. This time, Mr tire told me it might be something was wrong with the computer, and I need to take the car to the dealer. I took the car to the dealer today, and they told me that my gas cap was not tight at all, and help me tight it. This evening when I was driving the car, the engine light was on again... I am not familiar with cars at all. If it is something with the computer, how much does that cost?

I thought I replied to this one but I guess I accidentally posted my reply on someone else's thread. Anyways the kind of sum up what I said in my last post. If you take it to the dealer they're going to charge you an arm and a leg just to diagnose it and if it is the main computer then you're probably looking at anywhere from 800 to 1200 bucks. They rarely go out but it does happen. What I would do is don't go to this mr. Tire anymore because the fact that they charged you $110 just to pull a check engine light code sounds to me like they are a scam. I would go to an autozone if you have one in your area have them pull the code for free that way you have it and then posted on this forum and then hopefully some pretty knowledgeable guys can help you out. Also do the research for yourself typing it on google to see what you come up with. But yes most of the time check engine lights are pretty simple to solve occasionally you'll have one that's tricky.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

most auto parts stores will read the code for you for free i suggests you do that then tell us exactly what codes are being given. if your car is an older model OBD1 then you can get the codes yourself via DIY either way we cant really help you unless we know the codes.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 11-21-2015 at 04:12 PM.