Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Check engine light" (Civic 2004)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Default "Check engine light" (Civic 2004)

Hi there,

I have a Honda Civic (Special Edition) 2004, 140 000 Km.

My problem started after I left the car unused for one month (I went away for vacation).

When I started using the car again, the "Check Engine" light went on (no blink, it stays on all the time). I thought it was just a minor issue with the gas cap. I filled the car with gas and made sure the gas cap was tightly closed. I disconnected the battery to remove the signal, but after a few minutes of driving, the light went on again.

I've been driving it for the last few months like that with no evident impact on the way the car is running. My gas consumption seems to have increased, but I never really paid attention to what it was before so it's hard to tell if it's related. With 2/3 of a tank, I'm doing 300-350 km (mix of city driving/highway)

I will bring it to a mechanic to get the exact code, but what could be the most probable causes for this check engine light given my symptoms ?

Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Absolutely no way to know without pulling the code. Simple as that. Unless you told us your exhaust ripped off and the engine light came on a little later, its a crap shoot. Getting the code pulled is free at most places and youll know EXACTLY what it is.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

bad gas ? mice ate through wires ? mouse nest somewhere its not suppose to be ? why would you drive around so long without getting the code checked considering it takes 5 minutes and is free at most car part stores. you can even get a scanner for $25-$30 bucks these days cheaper then the dealer would charge.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 03-19-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigvig77
Absolutely no way to know without pulling the code. Simple as that. Unless you told us your exhaust ripped off and the engine light came on a little later, its a crap shoot. Getting the code pulled is free at most places and youll know EXACTLY what it is.

Went to a garage I trust. They said that the code was EVAP.
They did a leak test using smoke and told me the problem was
with a solenoid (90 $) that they would change.

When they took it out, apparently one of the bolt didnt come out, but the mechanic told me that I should be fine with just one (otherwise, they would have to take apart some bigger box and it would cost more).

Anyway, the light problem is fixed...for now.