Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engline Light, After Cylinder Head Replacement for a 92 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 PM
HCF Member
Default Check Engline Light, After Cylinder Head Replacement for a 92 Civic

Hi all.

As the title says, I just replaced my cylinder head, and the check engine light has been coming on sporadically--for instance, generally when I accelerate, going uphill usually, it comes on, but only during the day, hasn't happened much at night. I'm going to see if I can get the code read for it, but I've been trying to narrow down the possibilities of what it could be, since it's only come on since I just got the cylinder head on. I've heard it could possibly be an O2 sensor, which is what I suspect, since I was moving around the exhaust a bit getting to the head, and that could've tripped the sensor up. I initially thought it could be the ignition timing, so I tried calibrating it, but it was still doing it. So I first suspect O2 sensor, but I was wondering what else it could possibly be. Any thoughts would be cool. Thanks.

-Jon

Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Retrieve the code yourself as detailed at the link in my signature. Post the code to get more feedback.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

Hi, sorry it's been a while. I moved out the carpet and figured I would find the wire there, but found a metal casing instead. Is this the kick panel, and would the wire be under there?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The kick panel (plastic side cover) would be located near the passenger's right foot. Remove this plastic panel, and you will see the ECU box. Above the box is a large wire harness from which the service connector branches.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The connector is way up on the side wall of the car above the ECU, it is almost above the bottom edge of the dashboard. There should be two small plugs hanging there that don't plug into anything. The one with two wires is the one you use.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

Hey, sorry this has taken a while for me, school busyness and all... After painstakingly looking in the wrong place--thinking the connectors were in the plastic box instead of _above_ the box--it was right under the side of the dashboard actually, so I didn't need to remove the kick panel or anything.

Anyway, first it read 41, then it ran through the flashes again and read 43, oddly, and still in the ignition, it read 41 again, and then 43... so I think it's 41 and 43 to be sure, but maybe more likely 41, since that's what it flashed first.

41 figures, the primary oxygen sensor heater, because I had to work around the exhaust a bit, removing the cylinder head, and that may have killed it...

Anyway, thanks again for the help guys. Definitely appreciate it. Saved me some money that would have otherwise been needlessly wasted.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 AM
HCF Member

It keeps repeating the codes in case you misread the flashes first time thru.

Code 41... Got a multi-meter?
Unplug the O2 sensor. Measure the resistance between the 2 same-color (black?) wires from the sensor. That should be between 10 & 40 ohms. If thats GOOD, then your problem is in the car, not in the sensor. Broken wires from pulling on the exhaust pipes?

Its possible for code 43 to come from O2 sensor problems. After you fix the code 41, then reset your ECU & see if 43 comes back or not.