Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic EX problems maintaining speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Default Civic EX problems maintaining speed

2006 Honda Civic EX
48,000 highway miles

For a good month now, the car has been having problems maintaining its speed, especially on inclines.

On steeper inclines, it would always downshift, and that was fine and understandable. Now, it will at times need to downshift twice, and on inclines where it never needed to downshift, it will.

I keep somewhat true to the oil changes. Though since I drive about 180 miles a day to work and back, I will go over. I just replaced the air filter a couple weeks back as well.

Gas consumption has most certainly gone up as well. What used to take me 3/4 tank, now takes a full tank.

Any ideas what could be going on? I will take it to the dealer eventually, but thought I'd hunt around for something beforehand. Plus, crappy warranty and with my 48k miles, it's over the limit.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Civic EX problems maintaining speed

Try a new air filter first off. (Edit: never mind, see you already did.)

Does it sputter, stumble, run unevenly, or does it run smooth but just slow?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 AM

No real rumbling, sputtering, just no power. After it shifts up a gear, the low rpm's really hurt and it's having to downshift to maintain speed (and as I said, more so on inclines). Other than that, it seems like it's running smooth.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

have you replaced your spark plugs? it's been a while 48000 is a lot of miles.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 AM

So it might be something as simple as the plugs? If so, that's not too bad then. You think this really could be the issue?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 AM

most people neglect there ignition system. simply because they think it isnt that important. yes sparkplugs and wire are very important and having bad ones will cause the problems you are having. that also goes for your distributor cap and rotor if they apply to your specific vehicle. personally i change mine every spring you dont have to but with the miles you drive i probably would. at lease every other year.as the plug gets older the spark itemits fades resulting in less fuel combusting in your engine. resulting in less power, the more fuel that you can get to explode in the split secondwhen yourintake valvesare closedand before your exhaustvalves open the more power you will get. and i would suggest as very least platnium plugs. i use the iridiums and love them worth every penny

good luck

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 AM
HCF Member

OK guys, try this one on. It's the reverse i-VTEC. First read through this thread:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_570820/tm.htm

If you will notice in the last post, I mention where the ECU seems to remember that I always drive in the light throttle mode to conserve fuel and it stays in the reverse VTEC mode even when I push the pedal to the floor now. You can tell if this what is happening to you by accelerating through 3500 RPM. Youshould feel a sudden boost of power at that pointas the VTEC turns off.

If this is what is happening, then the down shift youthink of as a problem, is merely your Honda Civic saving you gas.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 AM

Thanks. I'll get going on the plugs. Do you think it's necessary to replace the cap as well?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
HCF Member

lynnjer,

it doesn't hurt to replace the plugs. I believe that the normal schedule says every 24000 miles. so you are twice overdue.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 AM

Gene,
The question I have though, is why after almost two years it would all ofa sudden start behaving in this manner? The sustained power was there before, as was fuel consumption. I was getting great mpg as I would expect from the Civic. Now, I'm using almost a quarter tank extra over the same distance because of the less power, ie, not saving me gas. Interesting article on the reverse i-VTEC though. I'll pay attention what happens going through 3500 rpm.

Thanks again!