Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:57 PM
HCF Member
Default clicking sound

I have a 2003 honda civic 5 speed 2 dr and when i start to take off i hear a clicking sound comes from somewhere up front....anyone know what it could be. I was thinking it could be a drive shaft.

Thanks Brandon[:-]

Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Default RE: clicking sound

If you think it is the front axles, check the front CV boots for any obvious tears or grease that has worked its way out. Is the sound more pronounced when you accelerate through a turn?

Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 PM

no its the lifters there not getting any fuel to them, try adding some

Old 06-16-2006, 12:16 AM
HCF Member

why wouldnt it have any fuel getting to them....lol it just makes the noise on take off well i can only hear it on take off my aem v2 drowns out everything else. i cant hear it when turning.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 AM

Fuel to the lifters??? That sounds about as ridiculous as the flux capacitor remark that was posted a few days ago, unless that was the intention. Usually, if your CV joints are having trouble, clicking noises are more pronounced when accelerating through a turn because stress on them is at its greatest. Like I said, go inspect your CV joint boots for any leakage or tears. If there is any evidence of this, it's pretty likely that's the noise culprit. These are highly machined components, and a little bit of contamination can wreak havoc. If all boots look ok, you may have another issue. Axle clicking is very unique (assuming you've heard it before) and is pretty hard to mistake. Did this just come out of nowhere, or has it been getting progressively worse?

Old 06-16-2006, 03:44 AM

I'd experienced such clicking sound on front left wheel (driver) side. Cleaned CV joints, checked drive shafts, consults a number of service centers testing a lot. But a sidewalk mechanic's expertise got it corrected. Just changed the upper and lower ball joints (that what he called it) and its done. No more irritating noise. Try it dude.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:09 AM

I agree with (lol) mygroin (<= that's funny) I usually try to not listen to mygroin as it can get me in to trouble. (sorry got carried away).

Start with checking out the CV shafts. I have had the upper strut mount cause a single click on sharp turns and I have heard of a bad lower ball joint causing noise, but they can both be checked out without to much trouble before just replacing them.

As for the lifters, obviously we don't want FUEL getting to them, but maybe checking the oil for the proper level wouldn't hurt as the clicking sound (if coming from the engine) could be caused from low oil or valves needing an adjustment.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

I don't want to sound like a total noob or a$$, but I know once after I drove through some loose gravel my tires picked up a rock and when I was driving around it was hitting the road and making a clicking sound... I inspected my tires and found the rock, removed it and drove again and it stopped clicking... something to check I guess?? I have always like the "keep it simple, stupid" mentality so I check for the smallest things before jumping into big projects..

Old 06-16-2006, 11:34 AM

Hey man, I appreciate your...support...for mygroin. It's never a bad thing. As a Phil, I can tell you I've heard it all, as I'm sure you can guess by the way the name blends so...interestingly with the world. I leave the specifics to your imagination.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

well.....i went and had it check its coming from my tranny pressure plate of something. something is trying to grab and it clicks until it grabs. dunno if this makes sense. thanks for all your help.