Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cluster/Climate Control Lights & Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
HCF Member
Default Cluster/Climate Control Lights & Brake Light Problem

Hey guys, while testing out my new suspension setup I noticed something. If I'm driving without the headlights or corner lights on, so no lights at all I have this problem... If I press on the brakes, the clock, cluster lights and climate control lights either come on or flicker until I come to a complete stop and even keep doing it when stopped sometimes. Once it got dark I couldnt notice any problems when I drove with the headlights on. But then I also noticed that when the headlights were on the brake light above the rear window (and normal brake lights I assume) would flicker as well when driving or coasting down the road. Any ideas? I have an aftermarket alarm system that was on the car when I bought it and the wiring looks neat and professional under the dash. I havent looked around as much as I could but I have no idea what could cause it. Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Chubby Chaser

i would check your grounds, make sure they are clean and tight, you should have one going from - to trans, and one from - to body.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This is caused by the combined brake / tail light bulb(s) losing their ground. It could be a corroded socket that doesn't ground the shell of the bulb. Put something heavy on the pedal so the brake lights stay on. Then check for bulbs that don't light up full brightness, those are not grounded.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

Thanks guys I'll check that out asap. The rain here right now is horrible.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

All grounds under the hood are tight and connected well. It has to have something to do with the brake pedal or something. the lights on the dash only act funky when you press it.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The problem is almost certainly in the back of the car. Read my post again.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Re-checked all the grounds and looked at the brake lights. All the lights are bright and normal looking. All the connectors are great, no rust, corrosion or unstable connections. There is one small running light burnt out on the rear driver side though. I doubt it would cause this to happen though correct? Also, as I was changing out my license plate lights I noticed when they are on, they constantly flicker. They flicker when the car is off and when its running, even when I'm standing outside of it with no one touching the brake pedal. Could it be a relay or something? The ground for the alarm horn looks good as well.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check with a voltmeter from the bulb shells to frame ground with the brake lights on. More than 1 volt is a problem.

There is no relay in the stock wiring. If your aftermarket alarm is connected to the lights in any way, it could be causing a problem.

Lights flickering with the engine running could be due to inconsistent voltage from the alternator. All the lights will flicker the same way. If they don't light up steady with the engine off, it's a bad connection or ground. You can't tell about electricity just by looking. It's necessary to test with a meter.

Last edited by mk378; 10-30-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

Yeah they all flicker exactly the same when the car is off. Something tells me it's the alarm but I will try and use the voltmeter to check it out. Like last night when I started my car the brake lights were flashing on and off like crazy without me doing anything.