Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch Engages at High RPM

Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the when it drops out of gear, the mph goes up when you press the gas, then focus on the axles (disengaged from transmission) or clutch (slipping). If the mph do not go up, only the rpm do, then focus on the transmission (e.g., synchros).

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 PM

Turns out the axle is the problem. The whole thing dropped out while turning into a parking lot earlier today. Had it towed to a mechanic and they determined that the axle had come loose but didn't have time to dig deeper to see what additional damage might have been done. Honestly, they were amazed that it happened.

Now the new question -- what should I expect this to cost me? Any ball park estimates?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you did the job yourself, a new axle would cost about $70.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

yeah dude, put a new axel in. it's a piece of cake. I can have the whole job done in an hour.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Question The Problem Continues

Okay, here's an update. Took it to my favorite mechanic who pulled it apart, reinstalled the original axle and then put it back together. It worked great for a few days then came apart again. The mechanic put in a new Dana axle, it worked for a day then, BANG! Back to the shop. Pulled the Dana axle, replaced it with a different brand (recommended by a Honda Mechanic) and everything was fine -- for a day. Suddenly, WHAM! Axle pops out again. As I coasted off the highway (luckily near an exit ramp) I could feel it engage again and everything felt fine. I tried to drive the last two miles to work so I could call the shop when it all went to hell for the final time.

Apparently they have replaced the axle and fixed the problem but not the cause. Any ideas or suggestions about what they are missing?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The gear in the transmission that mates with the axle could be damaged. It's not too complicated to take the transmission apart and check/replace it. Or there could be something else wrong in the transmission causing excessive wobble and the axle to come loose.

You are of course sure you're using the proper axles for your car? It's stock not any sort of swap job right?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Interesting thought. The shop I have been taking it to knows the history of the car -- I've been taking it to them for a while -- but they are a general repair shop and not specialty transmission. That's where they are taking it now so hopefully they will check the transmission gear.

The axle is the recommeded part and it's new. The second one was recommended by a Honda mechanic friend of the shop manager and he suggested it because it tends to fit more snugly on higher mileage cars. I don't know the brand. The first one was a Dana.

Thanks -- any other suggestions?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
HCF Member

Has this car ever been wrecked which tweaked the geometry of the front suspension just enough to still allow an alignment but prevents full insertion of the axle?

Ed
Dallas, Tx