Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch problem help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Default Clutch problem help

Ok i just bought a 2000 Hatchback and at the time every thing seems to be running ok. But recently the clutch seems to not want to work as good as it seems.

Symptom 1; Every 2 months I need to refill the clutch fluid!!
Symptom 2; While everything looks ok around the Master cylinder, when i press my thumb on the rubber boot, clutch fluid runs out of the gap between the boot and plug shaft ( I dont think this is normal)

took it to three places

Mech. 1 only looked under the hood and told me the rubber hose to the slave cylinder is leaking ( did not check anything else)

Mech 2. pumped the clutch a couple times and told me my clutch pad is almost worn out
his explanation of the missing clutch fluid was that as there is less clutch pad it takes more fluid to move the pressure plate. ( this seemed like a load of BS but as i had a similar problem on a previous car i decided to get a third opinion.)

Mech 3. said both the master cylinder and rubber hose to the slave cylinder are leaking. ( as i explained to what Mech 2 said and he asked what happenes when i shift or suddenly accelerate
I told him that actually the RPMs drop pretty regular when i shift at high RPMs , and when i sudenly accelerate without shifting the RPMs seem to increase slowly along with the speed, so he said it seems like the disc is biting ans not slipping)

As I mentioned in the above it seems like it is a simple master cylinder and hose problem and not the clutch disc, but as i have had a leaky MC this problem seems a little odd. As i know what a bad MC feels like, and this is not exactly feeling the same (then again before could have been a serious prob and this time is still a small problem) and when i dump the clutch the at high revs the RPMs drop like mad ( like the clutch is really biting) so i don't think there is a problem with the clutch disc.

hope to hear what you think the problem is before i change the wrong thing.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Go with #3. Replace all leaky parts. Master cylinders go bad two different ways, either leaking to the outside like yours does, or failing to build pressure when the pedal is pressed due to an internal leak. Or a combination of both.