Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Constant Extremely High Pitched Squealing

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Default Constant Extremely High Pitched Squealing

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and admittedly here mainly for DIY. I need to fix a few things on the car (2001 Honda Civic LX) that my parents passed down to me. One of the things (I suspect its the timing belt from what I've heard) is that the car makes a fairly loud (audible from inside and outside the car) squealing noise, just as soon as the car's engine starts up. It happens maybe 1 in every 10 starts but when it does happen, I stop the engine and restart it. I am too afraid to drive it while the car continues making the noise because I'm afraid it might worsen the issue.

I'm in the Waterloo/Toronto region and I called up Canadian Tire (probably not the best people to go to for this but w/e) and they quoted me about 400-450 dollars to replace a timing belt.

However, I'm even sure if it is the issue.

To sum it up:
loud high pitched noise as soon as car starts. Occurs every 1 in every 10 starts, approximately and is temporarily fixed by stopping and restarting engine.

There has been no timing belt change yet and the car is at 120xxx km.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:24 AM

I doubt it is the timing belt. The squealing is a belt slipping I would imagine. The timing belt has teeth in it, which go into the gears, oil pump etc. This would not slip, instead it would just jump a tooth or two and cause a rough idle usually.

Check the A/C, Alternator, and the power steering belt.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I agree with cvcr, Its most likely your power steering or alternator belt.
Check to see if they look dried up, or push on them to see if they are loose.
I had the same thing happen to me, the alternator belt would slip in the mornings or when it was cold outside.
The squeeling goes away after the car is running for a while, uh?
Once the belt warms up (from slipping) it grips the pulley and makes it stop slipping (and squeeling).

Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 AM

My Supercharger/alternator belt squeals (the belt needs to be replaced) when it rains. I am guessing water is getting in there and cause the audible squeal when at idle.... it also squeals sometimes upon start-up.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 AM

I had the same problem but it was my ac pulley tensioner the bearing was bad. You can test it by seeing if it will spin and if it doesn't its locked up.