Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Routed thru Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Default Coolant Routed thru Intake

I recently decided to mess with the way my coolant runs thru the intake & throttle body assembly, for better or worse, LOL. As far as I could see a coolant hose went from the block to the bottom of my intake, from there it was hosed up to the back of the throttle body, then from the other side went into what I believe is the Idle Air Control, and then into the opposite side of the intake. At this point, it appears to run thru the intake (lower side) back around to the same area where the original hose come from, but then is hosed up to heat the PCV air and then returns back to the block. *whew*

I took all these hoses out, and capped off the two points on the block where it starts & ends. I cranked the car up and let it warm up to operating temperature to check leaks and such. The motor got warm, and the intake & throttle assemblies are now cold (in comparsion to what they were before this butchery started). However, the point on the lower intake where the coolant was entering, now is draining a little bit of coolant. The leak is not pressurized, and actually is quite cold, not skin burning hot like you would think. I'm guessing that I am overlooking something on how this intake coolant thing is setup, or I have a slight leak somewhere and it is pooling up in the lower cavity of the intake & cooling before overflowing out the port...

Anyone have any knowledge on this setup, surely I'm not the only one that has attempted this, that could fill me in on what I might have done wrong or overlooked?

Picture for reference (taken before I butched it)

[IMG]local://upfiles/7347/4EF53951A01F45F8ABB06ABCB1360D14.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2006, 12:06 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Coolant Routed thru Intake

if i understand your explanation (which im not sure I do) i would guess its just the coolant that was in the throttle body slowly running out, and i wouldnt worry about it unless it doesnt stop.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:04 AM

Thanks Sacicons. I capped it off (just placed a rubber cap over the port, not clamped or nothin) and have drove it a couple of times, haven't noticed any pools of green under the car yet, LOL. I currently have the exhaust off getting some welds done, once i have the pipes back on I'll drive it again and uncap it to see, but I'm thinking the same thing. It just seemed like it wasn't stopping the night I did it, but it was late, and I was tired.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

but you need to take the two hoses, the beggining and the end and connect them so your fluids circulate, and get an hondata i.m. gasket. it is made for whar you are doing, and the install instr. even tell you that if you desire to, you can route around the throtle body. but with just a standard gasket, the i.m. will absorb the heat from the head, same as your exhaust does, and if it were to get hot enough your fuel will start to evaporate before reaching the cylinders.