Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Couple Disc Brake Questions

Old 03-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Default Couple Disc Brake Questions

Hey,

Just changed rotors and discs all around for my old man on an 04. He doesnt really take care of the vehicle too well. A lot of rust and corrosion. When I took the slider pins out some of them were seized in there pretty good. I was able to wiggle/pry them out. I replaced them with new pins and cleaned them out as best as I could. The dust boots were in pretty rough shape. I replaced some of the boots as well but I couldnt get the boot to attach back to the caliper bracket in the lip to seal it back up due to corrosion and rust.

My questions are:

-How do you effectively clean out the hole for the slider pins?

- How big of a deal is it if the slider boot doesnt sit in to the mounting bracket hole?

- What type of grease/anti seize do you use for the backs or notches on the pads.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

BertW

Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM
HCF Member

Hi BertW. The link below covers the topic "How to service your brakes if you live in an area with snow", or in other words, rust.
INTRODUCTION: Brake servicing in snowy areas

If the pins or calipers are badly rusted you may be better off replacing those parts. If you decide to clean them use as gentle a method as you can that accomplishes your goal. The above link provides several options for cleaning out the caliper bores. Once you have smoothed the surface clean it thoroughly with a brake cleaner spray.

If the caliper pin boot doesn't fit tightly then you will have environmental contaminate/corrosion problems much sooner.

For the backs of pads, anti-squeal shims, and pad "ears" I use a high temperature brake grease such as CRC Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease or 3M Copper Anti Seize Brake Lube. For the caliper pins I use 3M Silicone Paste or Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ska-T
Hi BertW. The link below covers the topic "How to service your brakes if you live in an area with snow", or in other words, rust.
INTRODUCTION: Brake servicing in snowy areas

If the pins or calipers are badly rusted you may be better off replacing those parts. If you decide to clean them use as gentle a method as you can that accomplishes your goal. The above link provides several options for cleaning out the caliper bores. Once you have smoothed the surface clean it thoroughly with a brake cleaner spray.

If the caliper pin boot doesn't fit tightly then you will have environmental contaminate/corrosion problems much sooner.

For the backs of pads, anti-squeal shims, and pad "ears" I use a high temperature brake grease such as CRC Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease or 3M Copper Anti Seize Brake Lube. For the caliper pins I use 3M Silicone Paste or Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant.

Ska-T, I really appreciate your answer. Thanks a lot man! Very helpful